Help with patter!

mom23cutiepies

Question

Uggghhhh, am I ever going to understand patterns!:think

I'm just starting to make a skull cap and I can't even get past the first piece of the instructions...help, pretty please! Here's the directions:

With MC, join to first ch to form ring

Then the pattern says:

Round 1 - Ch 4 (counts as first dc plus ch 1 now and throughout), (dc, ch 1) 8 times inside ring. Join to 3rd ch of beg. ch 4 ~ 9 dc's and ch spaces

Round 2 - Ch 4, dc in same stitch as joining, ch 1, [(dc, ch 1)] twice in next dc] around. Join to 3rd ch of beg. ch 4 ~ 18 dc's and ch spaces

HUH, LOL! If somebody would be so kind as to help me understand the instructions for round 1 and 2, I'd be extremely happy! :c9

Thanks so much in advance,

Kelly

5 answers to this question

Uggghhhh, am I ever going to understand patterns!:think

I'm just starting to make a skull cap and I can't even get past the first piece of the instructions...help, pretty please! Here's the directions:

With MC, join to first ch to form ring

Then the pattern says:

Round 1 - Ch 4 (counts as first dc plus ch 1 now and throughout), (dc, ch 1) 8 times inside ring -you dc and ch1 consecutively for 8 times in the beginning ring you made-not in the chains Join to 3rd ch of beg. ch 4 - slip stitch to the 3rd ch up from the bottom of the ch 4 you made at the beginning of the round ~ 9 dc's and ch spaces if you count it when you are done you will have what it says - 9 dc's with single chains between them

(I think you may be putting too much thought into this. . that was my problem when I first started)

Round 2 - Ch 4, dc in same stitch as joining - in the same st where you made the ch 4 (it's an increase), ch 1, [(dc, ch 1)] (this dc, ch 1 is repeated twice in the one dc st) twice in next dc] - this is an increase around you will be doing this in every stitch around - remember, you ended with 9 dc's in the last round and you will have double that number in this round. Join to 3rd ch of beg. ch 4 again, you will be slip stitching to the 3rd ch up from the bottom of the beg ch in this round which will create a mock dc st and a chain BUT do not THINK about it~ 18 dc's and ch spaces

I hope this helps and I hope I didn't explain anything that was self explanatory;)

:cheer The first round is making like a wagon wheel with 9 spokes.

I would write round 2 this way.

Round 2.

CH 4 (to stand as 1DC CH1,) 1DC into same place as CH4, *CH1, 1DC, CH1, 1DC into next DC * Repeat from * to *, to the end of the round, CH 1, slip sitch into 3rd of CH 4 rom the start of the row. 18 DCs and CH1 spaces.

:cheer Round 2 of a hat usually doubles the number of stitches from round 1.

Hope this helps.

Have fun.

Colleen.:hug

i would recommend going into notepad on you computer, typing the pattern and then using the edit:Replace function, you can change all the abbreviations to what they really mean. just be careful and make sure you include a space between and after the abbreviation or you will be replacing all the ch's with chains and whatnot....good luck. and try to learn the abbreviations. they are what all patterns are written in

Thanks so much ladies, I appreciate your responses! It's not that I don't understand the abbreviations, it's just that all of the [] and () within the pattern were confusing me, LOL!

Thanks again!

Archived