Question on yarn weight differences

simonssez

Question

I'm working on a baby afghan for a gift for a friend. I don't have the book to reference as I just jotted the down the basics instead of buying. It's a basketweave although not all worked together so to speak. It's just 36 strips (6 strips each of 6 colors) done in sc and woven over/under each other and then edged. I bought 6 of the caron simply soft colors (soft yellow; orchid; soft pink; white; berry blue; sage). For my foundation chain of each strip I was to chain 170, turn, then sc across for 4 rows. Pattern called for an I hook but tend to work loosely so I am using an H. I got the berry blue and the lavendar first strips done, they're the exact same length. Got the sage and soft yellow done and they're both a good 4" shorter than the previous two. I have counted my stitches (all started w/ a foundation chain of 170 so I know the count isn't off) and I have checked the gauge of each and they are equal. The only conclusion I can come to (my mom suggested this is a possibility) is that the dyes have possibly affected the weight/body of the yarns. Right now I'm just adding chains to the colors that are coming up short to make them equal. Is that the best way to go about remedying the problem?

1 answer to this question

Your tension or gauge can change with your moods, but if you have checked and they are ok then there is more likely a difference in the thickness of the wools and that can happen more likely through how it is spun than the dyes affecting it. The company may have adjusted the tension slightly when spinning a new batch. My suggestion would be make up one strip of all the colors you bought and see if it is all or just one color that turns out this way. Then contact the company directly and ask for an explaination. They may replace the wool or be able to give you an answer. Goodluck.

Archived