Front Loop/Back Loop

norwinmom

Question

I am working on a pattern that calls for crocheting in the back loop. I'm a little confused. If I look at my stitches I have 2 in the front and a smaller one in the back. I have looked in how to guides for crochet and they only show 2 loops to choose from, and where they are showing the back loop, is more like like a top loop to me. So would that top loop to me be the back loop? :think Or is that little loop on the back of my work be the back loop?

3 answers to this question

If you straighten your row you will see the stitch on top, a little V type thing (you should anyway) - the front loop is the part of the V closer to you, the back loop is the one behind that. If you're seeing three pieces of yarn to choose from just take a look in the beginning part of just about any crochet book and they usually have a 'how to crochet' section and it will show you the V I'm talking about. It's very easy once you get the hang of it, it's just the getting the hang of it part that can be frustrating. It makes a beautiful pattern, too! Have fun!

Also, perhaps someone can lead you to an on-line site that has how to crochet instructions that will set out step by step what they mean by front and back loop!

Good luck!

Archived