Caron's Convert knit to crochet

kisha29

Question

I found this really cute pattern for a poncho but it's a knit pattern and i don't knit. i looked at the other threads that asked this same question but i'm still not sure how it works. It's the pattern that came on the package of the Caron's Simply Soft (i bought Soft Green for something different). here's part of what the pattern says:

Gauge: in Stockinette stitch(?)

Stitchs used: Stockinette stitch, knit on RS, purl on WS (?)

I have no idea what these stitchs are (i may need to get a stitch dictionary) so any help would be great. I want to make this for myself since i :manyheart the one i made for my daughter.

2 answers to this question

Stockinette stitch is the second most basic knit stitch. You don't need a stitch dictionary for this one.

If you knit all rows, you get garter stitch.

If you knit the 1st row (the RS or Right Side) and purl the 2nd row (the WS or Wrong Side) you get stockinette stitch. You continue knitting on the RS and purling on the WS. You end up with V looking stitches on the Right Side and Purl Bumps on the Wrong Side. (If the purl bump side were considered the right side, it would be called Reverse Stockinette.)

If you knit in stockinette stitch, you will get curling of the edges. If you don't want the edges to curl, you need to use a border of garter stitch (several rows all knit) or moss stitch (knit one/purl one for several rows.)

According to "From Needles to Hook," the best substitution for stockinette in crochet is either single crochet stitches or half double crochet stitches in the round. (Some people don't like this book because it doesn't really "convert" patterns, but it is a very, very good book if you want to compare knit stitches to crochet stitches to get a reasonably similar, but not exact, look.)

The way to more or less get this look in crochet form would be to crochet in the round with single crochet (which I do when I make socks and they look very close to what knitted socks look like...)

However, there is a way to get the same look without crocheting in the round, however it requires you to crochet one row, fasten off, then start at the beginning of that row, fasten on and crochet single crochet again and so on...this is basically called a Russian stitch (according to my stitch enclopedia...)

In knitting, the only difference between "knit" and "purl" stitches is where the "nub" shows when you work the stitch...the nub will either be in the front of the needles or back, and if you do one row of "knit" and then turn and one row of "purl", all the nubs end up on the same side...so, in crocheting to get that similar look, either the Russian stitch or crocheting in the round with single crochets would work...

I don't know if this explanation will help at all...but it's worth a shot...

Archived