Knit to Crochet Capelet Help

MissRaevyn

Question

So - I went to the craft store today - saw this lovely pattern - picked it up - don't know HOW I didn't realize it was for KNIT.

I've tried to find another pattern like it in crochet but haven't been able to.

If anyone out there knows of a pattern similar to this it would bea greatly appreacited - or if someone can tell me, please, if there is a way to covnert this pattern to crochet?

The pattern is here: http://www.patonsyarns.com/pattern.php?PID=1711

Thank you in advance!

2 answers to this question

Hello MissRaevyn: :welcome to the 'Ville!

I can see how you made the mistake -- the pattern does look like crochet at first glance. But if you had to pick a knit pattern, you picked the best kind :) It's just a straight piece with no shaping, so it should be really easy to convert to crochet. The knit pattern is made flat and seamed up the back, but you might prefer to make it in the round and avoid the seam.

It looks something like this:

capelet.jpg

The knit pattern: About the first inch is knitted with both yarns together, in plain knit stitch to give a nice border. Then the Silverlash is dropped and the pattern continues in the lace stitch with Lacette only. When the desired length is reached, the Silverlash is joined in again and the final row is worked with both yarns together, decreasing by working 2sts together all along the row.

So how to convert it to crochet? Remember crochet takes more yarn than knitting -- some sources say a third more -- so you'll need to buy extra. The first thing is to sit down with your yarn and hook and a stitch pattern book and have a play around until you find a lacy pattern you like, then do a gauge swatch. The Patons design uses the easiest of knit lace patterns, just a stitch and a "hole" repeating across the row, with every alternate row plain. If you want to copy the original look as closely as possible, a simple mesh or lattice pattern might do it, but you could use practically any stitch that takes your fancy.

Once you know how many stitches you have to 4in in your chosen pattern, quarter it to get the stitches in one inch. Now multiply that number by the width for your size to get the approximate number of chains you'll need. (I say "approximate" because you might need to adjust it slightly to fit your stitch pattern repeat; or if you decide to work flat, to add a couple of seam stitches and your turning chain.)

Work the first inch with both yarns in a fairly solid, plain stitch (sc perhaps?), then drop the Silverlash and switch to your lace pattern. Work until the length is right, then join in Silverlash again for the final decrease row. Do this in the solid stitch you used for the bottom border, working 2sts together right across, and fasten off.

I hope this helps, and please do post a picture of the finished capelet -- I'd love to see it :hook

Important note on sizes: The tension/gauge given in the Patons instructions is for stocking stitch (stockinette), though the capelet is worked in a much looser, stretchier lacy pattern. From the gauge given it's impossible to work out finished measurements for the garment. Example: for the largest size the pattern calls for 146 sts; gauge is 11sts/4in (2.75sts/1in). 146 divided by 2.75 = 53in, yet it is supposed to fit a 56-62in bust! So I nosed around among LB's free patterns and "borrowed" the sizes up to XL on the diagram; the others are my estimate. If you want to check fit, LB's formula seems to be the measurement around the shoulders plus about 12in.

Archived