Stocking Feet (sock help)

mjett37

Question

I bought the book Stocking feet but I don't understand the foundation chain can someone help:

ch 3, yo, insert hook in third ch from hook, yo, pull through ch, ch 1, (yo, pull through 2 lps on hook) 2 times, *yo, insert hook in last ch-1 made, yo, pull through ch, ch 1, (yo, pull through 2 lps on hook) 2 times; repeat 34 times

what is getting me lost is how am I supposed to make a chain 1 in the middle of this? and is there a video showing how to do this stitch:think :eek

3 answers to this question

Hi mjett37

What you're doing is creating the first row *and* the foundation chain at the same time. Using this technique solves the problem a lot of people have with their starting chain being too tight, which you definitely wouldn't want on a sock :)

When the pattern says to ch 1 in the middle of things, what it means is to YO and pull through 1 loop -- thus making a chain -- *then* carry on and work your stitch as normal (YO and work off 2 loops, YO and work off last 2 loops).

There's a very good photo tutorial here that will take you through it, step by step; and if you're interested to know more, a detailed explanation of the technique and how to use it with different stitches can be found here (I'd just read the first 7 paragraphs and scroll down to look at the pictures to start with, to avoid confusing yourself). The pics show how to use this same method to add a whole batch of stitches at the end of a row, another really useful thing to know!

--

Nowl

Nightowl is correct. That tutorial should help you. I have the same booklet and the way they explain it is extremely confusing. After going through the tutorial mentioned let us know if you have anymore questions.

Starting an item with a SC foundation row is better than a chain then sc's into them as this actually allows the item to stretch as opposed to the beginning chain.

Good luck!

Archived