Aunt Lydia's and JP Coats Royale

MimiFL

Hi.

I'm about to start a pinwheel doily (well, in the next couple of weeks), and the person I'm making it for has said that 'dusty blue' would fit perfectly with her living room.

I usually use Grandma's Best but sadly, they don't have anything close to dusty blue (actually, some colors are just disappearing from GB, like peach and Christmas green... :( Not sure what's going on there). Anyway, I'm left with a few choices.

I could go with Aunt Lydia's "Bridal Blue". Or with Knit-Cro-Sheen. Or with Coats' Royale (also Bridal Blue). I've never used Aunt Lydia's or Royale, so if anybody has, could you please let me know how you like those? GB is pretty soft and flexible, so I'm looking for something similar. I have used Knit-Cro-Sheen, and I like it, but as spools are only 150 yards, this would end up being too expensive for me.

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks! :)

(Apologies if this has already been asked)

I have tried Royale and in comparing it with the Aunt Lydia's, I think I prefer the Royale. It could just be me, but I find it a little more pliable and perhaps a tad finer in quality. Have you looked at DMC Traditions? Michael's sells DMC Traditions here in Atlanta for $1.43 and the Royale and Aunt Lydia's are ca. $2.49 per ball.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Hadn't thought about DMC Traditions. Is that price for the same yardage? And how does it compare to the others in terms of quality?

The DMC Traditions is the same length per ball as Royale. There is a soft, pale blue but don't know how it compares to the blue you've chosen in the other brands. Prices in previous post.

I think Traditions is less fuzzy and easier to work with. Don't know if I imagine it, but it seems to be better quality than the Royale, (and I imagine the Royale to be better than Lydia, but I haven't looked at them under a microscope to analyze the fibers).

There are lots of "threaders" in C'ville, so perhaps you'll get many more ideas as soon as some others are online.

Thanks, that's a good start. I'm definitely going to look at that one (just saw they had sky blue, which looks close enough to what I'm looking for).

Well, the deed is done. :D

I went to Michael's this week. They had Royale and DMC (hidden on a bottom shelf in the pearl cotton aisle!), and it took me some time to decide which one to go with. Since they both seemed pretty similar, and the DMC was much cheaper and recommended here, I went with that one. Got 2 spools of DMC Traditions "Sky Blue" @ $1.49 a piece. Not sure I'll need both, but they were the only two there (same dye lot and all that).

Thanks for the help. :) I can't wait to get started on this one. :c9

Mimi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

If you are looking for colors you should check out my site. I have almost 100 colors available in a gorgeous imported size 10 thread, very soft and easy to work with. Also available in a mohair like yarn but this is special order.

http://www.geocities.com/shol1633/Myhomepage.html

Let me know how you like it!

Shirley

Well, the deed is done. :D

I went to Michael's this week. They had Royale and DMC (hidden on a bottom shelf in the pearl cotton aisle!), and it took me some time to decide which one to go with. Since they both seemed pretty similar, and the DMC was much cheaper and recommended here, I went with that one. Got 2 spools of DMC Traditions "Sky Blue" @ $1.49 a piece. Not sure I'll need both, but they were the only two there (same dye lot and all that).

Thanks for the help. :) I can't wait to get started on this one. :c9

Mimi

Wow pretty colors! Do you have cotton thread?

Hi Everyone,

If you are looking for colors you should check out my site. I have almost 100 colors available in a gorgeous imported size 10 thread, very soft and easy to work with. Also available in a mohair like yarn but this is special order.

http://www.geocities.com/shol1633/Myhomepage.html

Let me know how you like it!

Shirley

Archived