Pattern correction

Linda9

Question

I just bought the "Great Big Crochet Book" and of course the pattern I chose to make seems to be incorrect. I know at one time in my internet searching I came across a website that listed patterns that needed corrections. Does anyone know of a site that has such a list?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

Lion Brand Yarn has a web site with their patterns and they have a section with pattern corrections. I doubt this will help you if your pattern isn't on the Lion Brand pattern list.

Check the book to find the publisher, then check their site for "errata" or "corrections," or Google the book's information along with those terms. Usually if corrections for a pattern have been published, they will come up in your search results.

Just wanted to respond to your the frustration of "wrong" patterns that have been published. It is one of my biggest pet pevees in life. I recently made (or was making) a huge afghan, (consider myself a good crocheter) anyways, I knew something was wrong , fought with it and fought with it, finally went through well known magazine to see if number to contact, did that, and the very nice lady, said, oh there is nothing wrong with that pattern, asked her if she made it, she said, well no, (then how the heck would she know) anyways, she tried it and yep it was wrong, then many hours later into the work I found another huge gauge problem called again, and she worked out the gauge as stated in pattern, and said, you know what you are right. Sorry!!! I was so mad, I have voved never to make anything big from this person again, note she is a well known crocheter, so point is, they do not test test patterns, one makes it up, and that is about it, ok maybe some do, but no many. Good luck

You would think they would have a team of crocheters that they could mail or email patterns to and have them thoroughly tested. I'm sure there are a lot of poor women in the world who would like some employment.

ANYONE LISTENING?????

You would think they would have a team of crocheters that they could mail or email patterns to and have them thoroughly tested. I'm sure there are a lot of poor women in the world who would like some employment.

ANYONE LISTENING?????

Righto... but, timing and budget and real life get in the way of things like that in publishing... Debbie Stoller addressed this topic in another thread where we were discussing the errors in Happy Hooker. She had this to say:

... I am *very* interested in trying to figure out how to end up with less errors in future patterns. I've thought about having samples worked up, but I can't quite figure out the logistics of that. For one thing, yarn companies will often donate yarn for a project in a published book, but will they lend 2 times as much yarn, just so that samples can be worked up? Maybe I could have samples worked in those Big Pound o' Love yarns, but then, most projects are presented in 5 sizes - S,M, L,XL, XXL - do I have all 5 sizes worked up? Because as you know quite frequently an error might show up in 1 size, but not the others. Any ideas on this subject would be welcomed.

It's the unfortunate nature of the beast. Not to mention, if each pattern was tested in every size and all errors were corrected before it published, it would take *forever* to get anything to print!! Debbie mentions that, too:

The errors in the patterns are definitely disappointing, doubly so because myself, the designers, and the technical editor all spent a lot of time carefully reading and re-reading the patterns for errors. ...but when I was still discovering too many errors in my 2nd read through I actually fought to hold up the book (remember how the publication date kept being pushed off from when it was supposed to be in stores? this is why) in order to give the technical editor enough time to go through every pattern AGAIN, super carefully.

Sometimes mistakes happen, no matter how hard anyone tries for them not to.

Archived