Crochet terms

Lynda Liebs

Question

I am new at the crochet hobby. I am having trouble with a term and can't finish my blanket. I am at the end of a Row. I am directed to "Turn." it then says "30 sts." I know this means 30 stitches but what type stitches? I can't finish the row. It does not say double or single crochet etc. :eek Does that mean the total number of stitches in the row or does it mean to do some type of stitch at the end 30 times. ??? Please help. :think

5 answers to this question

Sorry, misread your question. If the 30 sts is in italics or brackets at the end of the row of instructions, then it usually means the total number of stitches that you should have at the end of that row. It does not matter what kind of stitch you did, you should have 30 of them.

Also: patterns use the term "sts" usually when it is mixed stitches. So if your previous row, was maybe a combination pattern of sc and dc. Some pattern writers, use the term sts, regardless of whether the previous row is mixed stitches or not, which can be confusing.

On the pattern I just finished, I had some ch loops and the directions say to dc in each st (stitch) across, which means to dc in each dc and ch stitch across. I don't dc into the chain loop, but each individual chain and dc stitch.

Hope this clarifies your pattern.

Some patterns will tell you how many stitches should be in the row you just completed. The next row instructions will tell you what to do next. Not good at explaining things in writing :) Hope this helps.

Alosha

Lynda Liebs,

:cheer Welcome to the mysterious and fabulous world of crochet.

:cheer Alosha is correct in what she says but please do not ignore the instruction.

:think A little counting now will save a lot of misery later.

If you make sure you have the 30 stitches in that row, you will be able to get the next row right beause it only needs one stitch missing on one row to set you up for failure and we dont want that.

:cheer Good on you for learning something new and remember, you will make mistakes but crochet is very easy to pull back if you do and only one loop to put back on the hook to get going again.

Good luck and have fun.

Colleen.:hug

Archived