How do you keep stitches tight

Samio

Question

I am working on the Delta Shawl pattern and I am having problems keeping my first stitch tight. For example I have to do 8 chain and then 3 incomplete Quin Trebles (6 yoh) and then yoh and through all 4 stitches on hook. My problem is that by the time I have got to the last stage the last chain of the 8 chain is really loose and looks crappy. Can someone help Please:think

2 answers to this question

I am working on the Delta Shawl pattern and I am having problems keeping my first stitch tight. For example I have to do 8 chain and then 3 incomplete Quin Trebles (6 yoh) and then yoh and through all 4 stitches on hook. My problem is that by the time I have got to the last stage the last chain of the 8 chain is really loose and looks crappy. Can someone help Please:think

I had that same problem when I was working on a shrug using the stitch last summer. I just kept holding the first loop in place on the hook with my pointer finger... It slowed me down and felt awkward at first, but made my stitches look much nicer.

I feel your pain. The more wraps you have around your hook, the looser that top chain becomes.

Here are some things to try:

• Use a smaller hook for the longer stitches
  • Pull the yarn really tight before you start wrapping and hold it down with your index finger (or middle finger, depending on how you hold your hook)
  • Make your wraps really tight - they'll loosen up when you work them off
  • Keep your yarn close to the end of the hook - don't let it slide up

You may want to try these techniques with some practice yarn before you go back to your project.

Hope this helps!

Tracy

Archived