Help with sweater shaping.. oh pleassee!

Rapvnzle

Question

I've dragged this darn pullover project out and I'm actually getting further along this time...

OK..I'm stuck.. and confused. I am working on the front panel of this jacket on the neck shaping. It should come up to a point on either side.

What does this mean.... in the 3nd row where do I decrease? From what I read it says I stitch even on the neck side, and decrease on the raglan side?? How can this be, when the pattern shows this piece decreasing up to a point?

:think :think :think :think

Neck shaping

Next row: ch 1, sc2tog, pat across 12 sts (neck edge) turn leaving rem sts unworked; turn

Next row: Ch 1, sc2tog, pat to end of row; turn

Next row. Work even in pat. Dec 1 st at raglan edge only 4 times - 2 sts.

Next row: ch 1, sc2tog; fasten off.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? What's funny..is I think this is the 2nd time I've brought this project up in here..over probably a few month period. I just can't continue onto other fun projects with this little "Devil" in my closet... grrr

4 answers to this question

What the heck??!! :think That really is a strange pattern instruction! It does sound like it will decrease only on the raglan side and not the neck side. The "only 4 times - 2 sts" throws me off completely. Without seeing the whole pattern and the picture I'm not sure I can figure it out. But let me tell you something I have frequently done with confusing patterns -- I mark with a safety pin the last row that I know for certain were worked correctly. Then I try working the pattern different ways I think it might be, frogging if it doesn't turn out the way I think it should according to the picture. So in this case you could try to work from the safety pin up to the ending point (how ever many rows that is). It is a little time consuming but doing that in past projects has made me a better crocheter and helped me finish the project I otherwise would have just let sit. Sometimes you just have to work out your own pattern within a pattern to get it to work right.

So I guess what I'm trying to do is if you don't hear from someone who can figure it out for you, then I'm trying to encourage you to feel brave enough to experiment and make it work your own way so you won't end up with the sweater just sitting unworked forever.

Good luck! YOU CAN DO IT! Don't give up! :hug

Crochetmama.. thanks for your response! I just kind of winged it.. still have to do the other side, so I'm crossing my fingers it goes ok. I just had to put it down for a while, as I'm getting tired of it already. It's soooo cute though..! I'm worried that my son will be too big for it ..if I don't get it done soon lol.. I told my husband that if I ever get it done, I'm going to take a photo of my son in it..blow it up and put it in a really nice frame for the mantle.. :)

Okay, I am going to give this a try. I think it is a very poorly written pattern... or it has a mistake, but I would guess, it should be this:

Neck shaping

Next row: ch 1, sc2tog, pat across 12 sts (neck edge) turn leaving rem sts unworked; turn

(I would guess this decrease was mid-front, and that, when you get to the end of the 12 stitches, you are at the underarm - and the sts that remain unworked are the underarm sts? Is that right?)

Next row: Ch 1, sc2tog, pat to end of row; turn

(Assuming I was right about the previous row, this would be the raglan decrease)

Next row. Work even in pat. Dec 1 st at raglan edge only 4 times - 2 sts.(I would guess this is the real problem - I think it should not say "Next Row". I think it should say - continue to work in pattern. The pattern would be to decrease the first stitch of every row - neck edge and raglan, but only do the raglan decrease for 4 rows, then work straight while continuing to decrease on the neck edge. The way I figure, this should take about 17 to 19 rows to get to the last one. I graphed this out and it does look like a typical shaping.

Next row: ch 1, sc2tog; fasten off.

I hope this is the answer. Good look!

Diane,

Thank you so much for graphing that for me :) I'm still a bit baffled by how this pattern is written. You would think Better Homes and Gardens would have well tested patterns! This is the pullover from their issue put out last year. I'm going to read thru everything here and the pattern again and see what I can come up with.

Andrea

Archived