How to keep a rug from slipping?

Sylvia Lee

Question

I just made a couple of rugs for my bathroom, but they keep wanting to slide around on the floor and not stay put. Is there anything I can put on the undersides of the rugs to keep them in place?

And oh-- I used #4 yarn.

4 answers to this question

I have seen something called "Rug Grip" on the glue aisle at my local craft shop. You paint it on the back (underside) of the rug and when it dries, it is supposed to make an non slip surface. Also look in the shelf liner area, I have seen a rubberized mesh that could be sewn to the bottom for the same purpose. Not sure how washable either are and haven't used either, but just some ideas.

I heard that for slippers, you can get a tube of that puffy paint stuff and make lines or designs on the bottoms of them , let it dry, then it makes them non-skid.

Don't know how well it'd work for rugs, but it'd only cost a buck or 2 to try it !

I use the rubber mesh under my kitchen rugs. You just cut it to the size you need and lay it down underneath (no sewing or glueing). It works really well - no more tripping or edges turning up! I bought it at Ikea and it was really cheap. I've also seen it in hardware type stores (here in Italy!).

Archived