Help needed with a diagram for a tunic

renegade

Question

I have gotten it into my head that I would like to try to make this tunic:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/fun_and_free/crochet_thread/lc1345.htm

I want to try it in Microspun, which I think will make it a bigger (although not quite sure how much bigger), but since I'm a little bigger, I'm willing to try it. Any idea how much bigger it would make it (the pattern calls for 2 strands of #10 thread to be held together throughout)? The microspun is a cat. 3 yarn.

I've never crocheted from a diagram before. I've looked it over, and I basically want to make sure I'm looking at it correctly.

As I see it, the middle of the diagram, where there's a thick line bisecting two of what would appear to be Motif Bs (therefore making them 4 1/2 Motif Bs) is the neckline of the garment, and the sides that are sticking out are the sleeves. In other words, am I looking at this garment spread out with the sides not joined? If so, it would seem I would just need to join the sides once all the motifs were in place.

Second, if I read this correctly, should I first work and join all the Motif As before doing the Motif B and half Motif Bs? Would this make it tricky to join them, or should I try to work left to right starting from the top, including the Motif Bs?

I've never attempted a wearable (other than a scarf, which doesn't really count I think), and I do want to try, and I do have the fabulous microspun to use - I have 15 oz. not sure how much more I would need. Is it madness to try to make this in a bigger yarn, or should I try to make the motifs using a smaller hook (the pattern calls for an F hook)?

Any help those of you experienced with wearables would be greatly appreciated!

4 answers to this question

Ok. This is how I would work this.

You're not really working "from" the chart, like you do with knitting. It's basically there just to show you placement. And yes, you do all of the A motifs first since you are joining the motifs together as you go.

Then you work on Motif B, which goes in between all of the Motif A's you made. Just read each step carefully and go slowly, and you should be fine.

Then it's just the edging.

And yes, the thick line is the neck.

Good luck and I hope this helps! :cheer

Angi

Renee, I would make one of each motif to see how large they come out with the F hook using Microspun. That way, you can measure them and calculate how wide and long your tunic will be. If they come out too large, you can work with a smaller hook. Microspun, which I've used quite often to make sweaters, tends to split easily and the smaller the hook, the worse the problem, but that yarn is definitely worth the trouble! Just watch when you make your stitches that you haven't accidentally dropped one of the plies off your hook! Good Luck. We want to see this when it's finished!:hook

Ok. This is how I would work this.

You're not really working "from" the chart, like you do with knitting. It's basically there just to show you placement. And yes, you do all of the A motifs first since you are joining the motifs together as you go.

Then you work on Motif B, which goes in between all of the Motif A's you made. Just read each step carefully and go slowly, and you should be fine.

Then it's just the edging.

And yes, the thick line is the neck.

Good luck and I hope this helps! :cheer

Angi

-------------

Thanks, Angi! It took me a while to figure out what that diagram was showing me, and boy am I glad I was able to figure it out! I think I'll start on this next week (I'm taking vacation for the week for Spring Break).

Renee, I would make one of each motif to see how large they come out with the F hook using Microspun. That way, you can measure them and calculate how wide and long your tunic will be. If they come out too large, you can work with a smaller hook. Microspun, which I've used quite often to make sweaters, tends to split easily and the smaller the hook, the worse the problem, but that yarn is definitely worth the trouble! Just watch when you make your stitches that you haven't accidentally dropped one of the plies off your hook! Good Luck. We want to see this when it's finished!:hook

-------------

Ooh, good advice, Roli, thanks! I don't think I'll have enough of the Microspun to do the entire tunic, so I'm going to buy a contrasting color (I have 15 oz of the coral) for the smaller motifs. It'll be a little wild looking, but then again, I'm a little wild, and I love color.

I would love to be able to tell people I'm wearing something I made! The motifs themselves shouldn't be too hard.

I've also been told by folks to try an inline hook with the microspun, so I'll probably buy one next week in whatever size I'll need.

Archived