Loop Single Stitch/Old Pattern - Help?

CrochetMonkey

Question

I have run into a question regarding a stitch abbreviation, and I am hoping that someone may be able to help me understand this. The stitch is called a "loop single-crochet," and it is abbreviated as "lsc." I found a video demonstration of a single crochet loop here, but I don't think this is the same thing (?) I am taking this off of a very old pattern, and here is how the directions are written.....

Row 3: Ch 1, sc in first sc, (insert hook in base of next sc, yo, draw lp through and complete as a sc
- lsc
),*sc in next sc, lsc in next sc, repeat from* around, join, turn.

I understand that I need go through the base of the next stitch, draw up a loop, but the "complete as a sc" is the part where I get lost. Maybe it is just a sc through the base of the next stitch, but if so, shouldn't it just be written that way? :think Also, if I do it like the way it is in the video, then I end up with an extra loop on the hook, but then that doesn't make sense either :huh. Is there anyone else here who understands what I am supposed to do here? Thanks so much for any replies.

4 answers to this question

It could also be a Solomon's knot or Lover's knot. They are basically the same stitch.

Here is one article on how to do it:

http://www.bellaonline.org/articles/art4830.asp

It's also known as an enlongated single crochet. You start the single crochet in the usual manner, except you make the loop you pull up longer than normal, usually around 1/2 inch.

Archived