Help Baby Afgan

pinkstars8223

Question

Hey everyone!

My name is Heather and I am new 2 the crochet world. I am trying 2 make a baby afgan for my daughter and its not going 2 well! Im using the book called I taught Myself To Crochet. I have learned the stiches, but when it comes time 2 read the pattern I get lost. It all seems like a bunch of gibberish. For instance, when it says *work (sc hdc sc) in back lp (lp away from you ) of next sc ( for corner) sc in back lp of next sc

what does this mean? Help!

Thanks

5 answers to this question

First of all - welcome! Nice to see you here. :hook

work (sc hdc sc) in back lp (lp away from you ) of next sc ( for corner) sc in back lp of next sc

If I am reading it right, it means that you do a single crochet, a half double crochet and another single crochet all in the back loop of the single crochet in the corner of the afghan. (In other words, 3 stitches in the corner.)

Does that make more sense now?

Ok, in the book it should tell you what the abbreviations for each stitch are.

I felt the same way until my aunt sat me down and showed me.

On each pattern it'll give you a list of the stitches and their abbreviations.

For example:

SC = Single Crochet

HDC = Half Double Crochet

DC = Double Crochet

CH = Chain

and so on and so forth.

It took me a less than a day once she showed me to where I could look at the pattern and not feel like I was trying to read Greek. Trust me, it can look intimidating but once you get going it really isn't.

Hope this helps. If not, let us know and I'm sure you'll get the answers you need!!!

P.S. Welcome to the boards!

Hi...

Take a look at this pattern:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/patterns/bubbles_baby_blanket.php

It was written by Deneen, one of the C'ville members. I made this baby afghan a couple of months ago, and it was really easy, and worked up pretty fast.

Sorry I can't help you with your instructions, but someone more experienced will be along who can.

Joan

Archived