Any tips on designing for a newbie?

LadyBeBop

Question

I just want to make a vest in single crochet.

Actually, I want to crochet a picture in it...but all I need is a simple vest in all single crochet.

I can't find any whatsoever...so I think I have to design it.

But I don't know anything about design. :help

All I know is that I just want a simple, sleeveless vest. Prefer a pullover, but will take a button. Also, it has to be a plus size. (Too many Twinkies in my youth, and I can't get the weight off).

I looked at the pattern for Mrs. Who's shrug for inspiration, but found none.

I'm beginning to think it's a hopeless cause. Something like this should be easy. What am I missing? :embar

4 answers to this question

To me When I'm thinking of a pattern I think of how it will go together, for example a vest can be 3 pieces. The easiest way you can do this it find a sweater that fits you good and trace out a template on a big sheet of paper. So you trace the back, then divide the front so you have a right and left front.

Now you have an idea of the space you need to fill. You said you want sc, so do a swatch of at least 3 rows by at least 24 stitches. In the center of the swatch measure your gauge. Find out how many stitches by how many rows it took you to get 1". Now measure your template. The fun part, do the math to figure out how many stitches by how many rows you need to fill in your template.

To do a picture try the program someone posted earlier

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

when your picture comes out gridded one square represents 1 sc.

I hope I haven't confused you more. Its actually easy but explaining things gets me jumbled up sometimes...lol

It should be pretty simple. You can use Mrs. Who's formula for finding your gauge, then determine how many stitches you need for your starting chain. You can work it in the round or work it flat and seam it up one side, or you could work it in two pieces and seam it. Decide that, then figure out your gauge. I'd work it from the bottom up. What I would probably do is find a sweater I like and crochet the shape of it, minus sleeves. You can look at sweater patterns to get ideas for the armholes, though unless you follow a pattern from start to finish you won't be able to use the exact pattern since st count will be different etc. It'd give you some ideas though.

Good Luck!

I just want to make a vest in single crochet.

Actually, I want to crochet a picture in it...but all I need is a simple vest in all single crochet.

Try this for an idea on how to put it together. Although this is a recipe for a child's sweater, the concept, minus the sleeves is the same.

Thanks. :) All are useful. Looks like this isn't a lost cause afterwards.

Liz31, I already know about the KnitPro site. I have a few other graphs that I want to use first.

Archived