HELP!! Name Doily...How Do I Frame It?

momof7

I just finished my first filet project, a name doily for my daughter who is getting married in March.

I want to give the doily to her this coming Saturday at her wedding shower.

Can anybody tell me how to mount and frame the doily? Is it easy enough that I can do it myself? The doily is approximately 15 by 5 inches. What size frame would look best?

Any and all help would be appreciated!!!

Ruth

http://www.sewchic.blogspot.com

You usually want a 2-3 inch allowance on all edges. if you want a double mat you would measure it within 1 inch around the item. I would suggest you go to a place like hobby lobby and let them cut the mat for you and frame it as well. Pick a basic frame, nothing to fancy( you want the doily to get all the attention).

If you DYI, Pick the next size up from the diminsions of your doily say a 20x10? Again, hobby lobby for a good variety of frames. you would then choose a backing board and cover with: decorative paper, fabric, etc. and with a sharp needle and sewing thread tack around the edges of the doily to the backer board. Some spray alittle adhesive on the doily as well for additional support.

I'd also suggest you dampen, lightly starch, and block with pins before attempting to frame it. It will help to keep its shape for years to come. Congrats on completing your doily!

Good Luck!

I also have a name doily that I did for myself about 5-6 years ago that is still not framed! I have given some thought to framing it in a floating frame between two sheets of glass. Right now my walls are white, but I want to repaint in a butterscotch color, and I am thinking I would not need a backing sheet and just let the wall color be the background, or I have also looked at art paper to use as a backing between the doily and the glass...If I can ever find a frame the right size, I will get it done!!

Laurie:hook

Archived