another soon-to-be newbie plying?

viggie

I want to get into spinning my own yarn. But I'd like to start with just plying commercial yarn to make my own mixes...since I have so many that I could do this with! The problem is I don't even know where to start. What is the best way to do this? If I have to go with a wheel right away, what would be best for me? I'd want something middle of the road price-wise and something that wouldn't take up too much space.

Hi Lynn, well i don't know if you have access to a local spinning group or someone who spins but that would be the best place to start if you do. As you would be able to try out a wheel or two and get the feel for one. Also when you ply commercial wools together you must realise they have already been plied and because of this are tricky but not impossible to ply again. When you spin your own you are spinning two single threads together that have been spun in the same direction. So when you ply you spin them together in the opposite direction. So when plying two commercial yarns together you would use just enough tension to pull the yarn in, and ply in the direction they would have been spun in in the first place as otherwise you would be unplying them. Does this make sense to you? Its difficult to explain to a non spinner simply so forgive me if it sounds complicated. Personally if you aren't intending to spin your own yarn a wheel is a big expense that you may not need for what you are wanting to do. You could simply buy a wool winder and wind the commercial yarns together and get a good result that way. Whatever you decide i hope it works for you goodluck.

Thanks! That does make sense :) I've been looking for groups or classes in the area, but no luck yet. I never even thought of using a winder...interesting.

Archived