Rose motif done right?

LindaP

Question

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to crochet. I am trying to stitch an afghan pattern in the December 05 Annie's Favorite Crochet magazine. The name of the pattern is Snowflake Rose. I have stitched up one of the rose motifs and it doesn't look much like the picture. The instructions for the first three rounds are as follows:

Round 1: With burgundy, ch 4, join in beg sh to form ring, ch 6, [edc in ring, ch 2] 7 times, join in 4th ch of beg ch-6. (8 edc, 8 ch sps) Did this with no problems.

Round 2: Working around top post of each edc, for large petals, (sc, ch 1, 5 tr, ch 1, sc) around post of each st around, join in beg sc. (8 petals)

Round 3: Working around same posts in front of large petals, for small petals, (sc, 3 dc, sc) around post of each st around, join in beg sc. Fasten off.

Round two is where it gets confusing. I stitched the stitches in parentheses starting with the first stitch (the 6 ch) from top to bottom of edc stitch winding up close to the first ring. Then went back up to the top of the next (one to the right of the first one) edc and worked down, on all 8 edcs. When I got to Round 3, I started on the bottom (close to the ring) of the next edc. The petals in the picture overlap and curl inward, mine do not and my small petals look much smaller than the pictured ones. Did I do this correctly? This is the first time I've tried to crochet in the front post of a stitch. Oh, by the way, I'm left handed and stitch strictly with my left, from left to right. Would this make a difference?

Thanks, LindaP

2 answers to this question

I just made your motif to see what it turned out like and see if the problem was in how it was written.

I am a lefty and I had no problems. So that is not a factor. My inner petals overlap and curl inward. I did think they were a mite small so instead of dc, I did edc's. I was happier with the results that way. I can not really tell if this turned out the way it should with out a picture to compare it too.

It is a cute rose. Though a little tough to work, at least in the thread. Did your large petals overlap. I think they are supposed to. Be sure you have all eight petals both large and small. With out seeing any pictures of what it should look like and what you are getting it's a little tough to pin point where your problem arises. If you could take a picture of your rose It might help.

Thanks KatchKan,

I'm going to do another one and try it with the edc's instead of the dc. I thought they were small too, but thought it was just me pulling it tighter because I was getting frustrated. If this next one doesn't work out I'll post some pictures. This afghan is lovely, the burgundy roses with dark sage leaves on a white background. I just need to figure out how to get started. Thanks again, Linda

Archived