Quick Pattern Help?!?!

havenoclue

Question

I'm working on a long vest and am still fairly new to reading crochet patterns, so I dont exactly understand what to do. My pattern reads as this:

Pattern Row 1:(Pattern is a multiple of 8 sts +3) Sc in each of the first 4 sc, ch 5 *skip next 3 sc, sc in next 5 sc, ch 5; repeat from * across to last 7 sc, skip next 3 sc, sc in last 4 sc.

Row 2: ch 1, turn; sc in first 3 sc, ch 3, sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 3 *skip next sc, sc in next 3 sc, ch 3, sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 3; repeat from *across to last 4 sc, sc in last 3 sc.

Row 3: ch1, turn; sc in first 2 sc, *ch 3, sc in next ch-3 sp, sc in next sc an din ch-3 sp, ch 3, skip next sc, sc in next sc; repeat from *across to last 3 sc, skip next sc, sc in last 2 sc.

And now, my question: When I'm making the chains, do I skip that number of stitches as well? For instance, in Row 1 where is says to ch 5, skip next 3 sc, sc in next 5 sc- do I skip a total of 8 stitches or just 3? When a pattern tells you to chain a certain number, do you skip that number of stitches or do you just chain them and have the chain 5 go right into the next stitch it says to crochet into? :think

3 answers to this question

When a pattern tells you to ch a certain number, it will usually also tell you the total number of chains/stitches of the previous row that you have to skip. So in this instance,

Row 1. skip only ch 3

Row 2. skip only 1 sc

Row 3. skip only 1 sc

So you don't add the number of stitches to the ones already given in the instructions.

the chain 5 you do will give you a space on the next round and often you find you do stitches in chain spaces on other rounds. it is hard to know exactly without seeing the pattern. if you could give us the link to pattern you are trying to do.

Archived