Help deciphering this pattern!

donnalynn2

Question

Ok, I have been working on the Heathers Jacket from the latest issue of Crochet World and aside from a gauge problem (even though my gauge is right this appears to be very large) I am stuck on the sleeves.

Here's the instructions where I'm having trouble:

Begin at botton edge of sleeve with MC, CH 56, SC in 2nd CH and across.

Work in border pattern as for jacket back (which I did and had no problems with) but do not DEC in last row. Cont in patternm INC 1 stitche each end on 3rd and every other row to 65 stitches then every 40th row to 79 stitches.

Does this mean that I'll work 55 stitches for 2 rows then inc to 57? Then work 57 one more row then inc to 59 and so on?

Then when it says every 4th row would I work 65 stitches 3 or 4 times before inc again? How does every 4th row work? Would I literally work it 4 times or change on the 4th row.

Thanks! I'm so confused I can't think straight!

P.S. The basic border pattern is SC in DC, DC in next SC and so on and so forth...

2 answers to this question

:hook You are right with the first bit, work one row straight, then one row with an increase at each end of the next row.

:think Then when it says every 4th row, you will work 3 rows straight then increase on the 4th row.

:hook This change slows down the increasing and gives your sleeve a nice shape.

:think ook carefully at which way your crochet is facing when you do the increases so you will not have trouble deciding if you need to increase or not. Increasing is usually done withe the right side facing you.

Hope this is helpful.

Hve fun.

Colleen:hug

Archived