Need help with rows

hazelsmrf

Question

I'm hopeless with anything that requires me to turn the work around , chain and restart. I end up with a triangle, I keep adding stitches somewhere and I can't figure it out. My first afghan came out very crooked. If the chain is in a circle I'm fine, I finished a poncho perfectly with no mistakes. I just can't master a simple square.

I'm currently trying a bag. I've frogged it 3 times so far because I keep adding stitches. So I've been counting but I get confused there too. I just can't recognize where I'm supposed to stop making stitches on the ends. Sometimes I get too paranoid and stop too early, and that doesn't help either.

My pattern starts with a chain 38, sc in 2nd chain from hook and in each sc across. Turn.

Chain 1, sc in each sc across.

Ok, pretty simple. Here's where I get confused:

My initial chain is 38, but I have to skip the first chain near the hook, meaning I should only be counting 37 SC? If this is true, do I count 37 each and every time after that?

Ugh, I get the feeling I'm making this much more complicated than it needs to be but this is one thing I just am NOT getting.

I did try counting all the stitches as I'm doing them, but I'm not sure if I have to count 37 stitches every time, or 38 stitches, and if the chain 1 on the turns affects this.

3 answers to this question

You should have 37 sc on every row and you do not count the turning ch (ch 1) as a stitch. You will put your first stitch in the stitch at the bottom of the ch 1. Then when you reach the end you do not crochet into the top of the previous turning chain.

Counting is GOOD. I even count when I am putting eggs into a carton with 12 spaces. Just cant help myself.

Let me make a suggestion before you start your item you want to make.

Chain 11 ch, then work as the directions tell you and you will have 10SCs.

Now turn and work on these, counting every stitch as you go. After you have done about 10 rows, you should be able to see the edges are nice and straight.

The difference comes when you are doing DCs, then you miss the stitch your CH3 is standing on and start in the next stitch, remembering to work into the turning CH at the other end. Remember the stitches look different when you are looking at the back of them, compared to when you are workinhg in rounds. Take a good look at your stitches.

When you start your CH, you have a loop on your hook which you do not count, so you will then do the number asked for in your pattern but when it says to work into the 2nd CH from the hook, you do count the one on the hook.

:think Confused? I hope not.:think

Have fun.:cheer

Colleen:hug

Archived