Fastening Off

lrguyer

Question

:help I am sure that there are other posts about this but I couldn't find them. The pattern I am using says to simply "fasten off" the square I am working on. Sounds easy enough, but I have no idea how to do that! Can somebody help me!!!

2 answers to this question

The simplest way to "fasten off" is to join to the first stitch then make 1 chain, cut your yarn (long enough to weave in) and then pull the yarn loop up so the end comes through the chain and pull it tight. You would then weave in your end.

Here is a Hidden Ends Tutorial, which eliminates the knot at the end of the square, which can be quite noticeable sometimes. It is a little more complicated and time consuming, but does make a really nice finish to squares.

I use a very similar method for ending off. I have a tutorial at Crochet Cabana. I think I do it a little bit differently, but both methods are very similar and have the same result.

If you don't want to use the hidden end or invisible finish off, you just join your last stitch to your first with a slip stitch, then yo, pull the strand through and tighten. Then cut the strand about 6" from the end and weave (sew) the strand in several inches. DO NOT cut the strand at the point where you tightened it and DO NOT knot it and cut it. ALWAYS leave a long strand and sew it in several inches.

How to do a proper finishing is one of the most important things you will ever learn in crochet, if not THE most important IMHO. (BTW, you do the same thing when you join new yarn - leave a long strand - and also leave a long strand when you start out your foundation chain)

Hope that helps.

Archived