Getting testers & pattern writing questions.

Sonny321

Question

I'm working on a garment that I plan to work up a pattern for in multiple sizes( it'll be awhile until I finish). This is a pattern I hope to be able to sell and since it's the first one I intend to do that with I want to make sure it's a flaw free pattern so I have a few questions.

1. When designing a garment with mulitple sizes do you just calculate the changes and write them down or actually crochet the garment in all the different sizes and write it down?

2. Would I need testers for all the different sizes?

3. Which do you all prefer, writing the pattern as you make it or writing the pattern down after the fact?

4. I don't like writing patterns, it frustrates me and takes time away from the whole creative process. Got any pattern writing tips for me that would make the whole process easier or quicker and less frustrating?

1 answer to this question

I'm working on a garment that I plan to work up a pattern for in multiple sizes( it'll be awhile until I finish). This is a pattern I hope to be able to sell and since it's the first one I intend to do that with I want to make sure it's a flaw free pattern so I have a few questions.

You are undertaking a big but fun task! You will feel such a great sense of accomplishment when pattern is complete!

1. When designing a garment with mulitple sizes do you just calculate the changes and write them down or actually crochet the garment in all the different sizes and write it down?

I calculate the changes... if I crocheted every size... eek would take me forever!! Thank GOODNESS for testers!!!!

2. Would I need testers for all the different sizes?

I always try and get a tester for each size... my patterns tend to be very involved more often than not.. and with me how scatterbrained i am.. someone always catches something... and not only that... you want ot make sure fit is right.. if you cant get for every size.. at least get one fo revery other size. the worst thing would be to complete a pattern flawless in technical errors.. someone then puts in all that time and effort and follows gauge only to see it doesn't fit right...

Sometimes calculations look perfect on paper.. but then you see like a neck edging kind of gaping toward the shoulder.. or armhole coming out too small.. etc.. there are so many things that math can't catch that only someone trying it on can catch. This is all though in my experience..

3. Which do you all prefer, writing the pattern as you make it or writing the pattern down after the fact?
If it is involved pattern i write down as i go.. I will never remember every little thing i did.. if it is quick i sometimes whip it up and then make a new one and write down as i go on the second one.. but even doing that sometimes i am braindead tyring to figure out some little thing that i did that i cant remember.. so i always try to write down as i go.. it i stedious and sometimes takes forever.. but i have never regretted doing it after finished.

4. I don't like writing patterns, it frustrates me and takes time away from the whole creative process. Got any pattern writing tips for me that would make the whole process easier or quicker and less frustrating?
It definitely takes a LOT of time.. especially when trying to make perfect fits in different sizes... that is i thinkt he most painstaking part of pattern writing.. adjusting sizes. I use a spreadsheet.. it helps calculate numbers.. so instead of mentally adding for each size individually.. just drag it and voila.. now this isnt foolproof.. a lot of adjustments often have to be made.. but it does take a good part of work and you then know the math is right! Also, write down everything you do... you will never remember most of the time going back.. unless it is a very simple pattern.

I hope some of this helps :)

Archived