2nd hand Ashford traditional

nataleeza

I may be buying a 2nd hand Ashford traditional wheel (that is if the other person who is interested doesn't buy it before Saturday).

Is there any thing I should look for? Are there any parts that are prone to breaking?

I'm going to have a play with it before I buy it (of course!) but was wondering if there was anything I should pay particular attention too. It's in very good nick, and barely looks used. I only had a quick look, but it looked fantastic!

And it's only about 15% the price of a new one, so if it's pretty good, then I'll go for it! Ashford Handcrafts is only about a 4hr drive if it does need something small fixed.

Hi Natalie the main thing is to look at whether the wheel itself is warped, check all the moving parts and take the time to have a go on it and have a feel.Ashford is close enough that any replacement parts shouldn't be hard for you to get. Ask about the history of the wheel has it only belonged to the person selling it or have others had it before her. Check around to see what prices similar aged wheels go for. Here in Oz Ashford Traditionals go fairly cheaply as most women want the upright wheels so they can easily take them in the car with them. Traditional style wheels can be awkward to get in an out and prone to damage from doing that to much. Also what is she selling with it, lazy kate,at least three spools(bobbins) a niddy noddy? Whatever you decide good luck! from you mate in Oz

Ta Jacqui, knew I could depend on you! ;) I have so much info in my head that I've read that it's nice to have the main things pointed out.

Well, the seller is a 2nd hand shop dealer and he doesn't know a thing about it, or spinning wheels at all. When I was in there looking I had a go on treadle and it spun well, and everything seemed in order (I have the Ashford book of Spinning, so I know what should be there). And there was no borer, or rot. It comes with a lazy Kate and 3 spools. I've asked if I can take some roving in for a test drive if I'm going to buy it, and he said that's just fine.

The only Ashford Traddys that I've seen for similar prices ($60) are on TradeMe (the local ebay) and none of them are known to be in working order. The ones that are in working order go for upwards of $200. I will not buy one on TradeMe though, even for cheap, as it's sight-unseen and you get to pay shipping.

I like the idea of a wheel, and hadn't really thought about it seriously until I saw this one for so cheap as I was walking past the shop. If I don't get it though, I think I'll save for a new one ;) and maybe a smaller one. My flat is the size of a small shoebox.

Do you know anything about the Ashford Joy? I like the idea that it's small and fits into a bag... now that's cool. I'm heading up that way in the mid year, so I'll have to pop into the Ashford shop.

Hi Natalie, well it sounds like a good buy have any of your spinning friends seen it at all? Anyway if the bloke is letting you have a try with your roving thats a good start. If you buy a wheel you will need to make yourself a little maintainance kit, vaseline,clean rag, string, and when you go to Ashford get a couple of spare springs( for your scotch tension) and a small bottle of sewing machine oil. Keep it handy because at some stage you will have to do a little maintainance. You should take the bobbins of wipe over the shaft put a little vaseline on the shaft and put your bobbin back on. This will keep it smooth running. When your belt (string) snaps as they do you have to replace them. Oh and an old leather belt comes in handy to replace the small piece of leather where your foot pedal joins to the crank. You should oil it at least once a year you will have to look in the book for exactly where. Oh and if you sew or have a friend who does get them to make a bag to put over your wheel a wheel cover. ENJOY your new spinning wheel thats an order LOL !

I don't know about the Ashford Joy myself but i've heard its a popular wheel. I have a Marjacraft wheel and they have a fantastic one called the Little Gem. I have a number of spinning friends with those and they pack into a travel bag and are light and strong. My own wheel i use all the time now is called a Marjacraft Suzie. Its good for when you do a lot of spinning for other people as i've done. I love it and it folds down to carry but is heavy. I have tried Ashford traditional and Traveller wheels and i had a Sikinger wheel(upright ) for a year till i bought the Suzie. My friend Lyn has a Peacock wheel its a chunky little upright and spins beautifully, I've only ever seen another one of those. Anyway chewed your ear off long enough darl goodluck.

Just rung the shop to ask if it was still there, and it wasn't :( and he had promised he would call if the other lady came back so I wouldn't keep thinking about it. How slack.

I'm not too worried I guess. It was pretty much an impulse buy, I'd been happy with my spindle until then :P

As a consolation, I think I'm going to go buy some pretty silk top I saw in a craft shop the other day and bring my spindle out for a spin

I'll start saving for a new one I think, so that I don't have to worry about other people having dibs on "my" wheel. It may take a year or two, but it'll be worth it.

Archived