Second Crochet Attempt

ammorgan

Question

8 answers to this question

Yes then you are working from right to left and it would be from the bottom up. Are you making squares of the different stitches like a sampler? I hope you are enjoying learning, i am totally self taught.

Hi, ammorgan!

If you've been knitting, then here's how I can best describe the similarities and differences.

If you're right handed, then you will work from right to left, except when making your foundation chain, which works from left to right. I don't knit, but if I'm correct, you always have the same side of the work facing you. In crochet, when you get to the end of a row, you turn it to work your way back. So, if you do three rows of single crochet, you'll do your foundation chain, then one row of single crochet - this will usually be the "right side" of the work (meaning the side that people look at, like the outside of a sweater). When you get to the end of the row, you turn it around and work back to your starting point from right to left, so the front of the stitches are facing the wrong side. Then you turn it around again and work it from right to left on the "right side."

Once you start working in the round, things change. You will always be working on one side of the work. There are exceptions to this, like some hats with brims will have you reverse the work at the point where the brim starts, so when you fold the brim up the right side will be facing out.

Circular works like doilies are usually worked in rows, but sometimes they're worked in spirals, like a snail shell.

There are also some stitches that you will encounter that will go only one way, like the vintage star stitch (I just learned that one - it's gorgeous, but you can only go one way). When you work with that stitch, you have to break off the yarn at the end of every row and start a new end on the left side of the next row. Or you can work these in spirals in round works. The afghan stitch, which is a rectangular stitch, is also worked with the "right side" facing you all the time.

Hope this helps! Or have I just confused you?

:think

Cheers,

Tracy

Hi, ammorgan!

I don't knit, but if I'm correct, you always have the same side of the work facing you.

Just to clarify-If you're working with straight needles then you do turn your work and work on the backside.

If you're working with a circular needle or double pointed needles then you're working in the round and the right side of work will always be facing you.

The only exceptin to this would be if you were working with a circular needle and working back and forth like you would with straight needles.

This is my second crochet attempt and I just want to know if this is heading the right direction or not.

BTW when you are crocheting say a blanket are you doing it from top to bottom? Or left to right?

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/58830/20060115/221020.jpg

Try this site: http://www.anniesattic.com/

Click on Stitching Help in the Menu Bar and you'll get a drop down menu with video stitching guides. Very, very helpful!

Archived