Yarn Suggestions, Please

yarnjunkie

My mom really liked the things I have felted and has asked me to make a rug for her. Not a huge rug, thank goodness, but she wants me to felt it. My question to everyone here is this...are there wool yarns out there that felt really well and that are fairly inexpensive for such a large project? She has offered to buy the materials needed and won't take "No" for an answer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I've had good success fulling with Lamb's Pride form the Brown Sheep Co, and it isn't terribly expensive as far as wool runs. And actually, this eBay store has got very decent prices on 1lb cones of it. I've done business with the seller before and was pleased with my experience.

My other thought was Knitpicks - their Wool of the Andes is said to full very nicely, although I haven't tried it myself. It's also reasonably priced, and if you order more than $40 worth, you get the free shipping.

Another idea is to try using roving... It would work up so fast with about a Q hook, and I bet it would full to be thick and lush. Plus, the roving probably works out to be cheaper.

i love lambs pride as well.. but feel you would get just as good a deal if you bought local.. i pay 6.95 a skein at my LYS .. and you would need 4 to make a pound.. so that is 27.80..

the oregon trail yarns.. sells one pound for 22.80 then you have to pay shipping.. which i looked up for me is 6.20 .. so its MORE when you add shipping then for me to get it local .. and to me i would much rather be able to get it now.. and of course it may be a better deal for you to get it from ebay .. i have done business wiht that particular seller.. they are top notch!

another yarn i have tried recently and LOVE the way it felts.. is Cascade 220.. its 220 yards for 7 dollars.. its not as furry as lambs pride.. which i happen to like the fur.. but some ppl d ont.. and it felts down very nicely .. only took me one wash on my latest hat and bag set and i cant even see the stitches..

Archived