Question about felted bags?

JCB

I am getting ready to begin making a felted back pack. I am using the dimensions of a soft backpack I've had for ages which was made somewhere in South America.

The one I have I use a lot when travelling... I won't be carrying books in it but I do put my camera in, a large wallet and heaven knows what else I pick up along the way.

I'm planning to use some black worsted weight yarn that says 'Galway' on the label, along with stripes of Cascade 220, using a half double crochet.

My question: How prone to stretching out are felted bags? The test swatch I did feels really sturdy. I'm not sure what to do about straps?

Thanks!

Joan

Joan, I made a purse/bag from some Cascade 220, knitted it. I used it for probably close to 9 months before I wanted to switch purses. The purse itself fulled beautifully and stretched a tad with use, but not too bad. I made an I-cord for the strap and wow, it stretched heaps. I just knotted the top and plan to re-full (re-wash) it again before I use it to see if I can get the straps down again. It's funny the straps shrank a whole lot when I fulled the purse and straps, but they also stretched more with use. Of course I tended to throw just about everything but the kitchen sink in my purse.

I have made a couple of felted totes (crocheted) & love them since they don't seem to stretch at all. The strap on one I made separate, then attached it, does stretch out a bit. The other I crocheted all in on piece & there is no give to the strap.

:)Alosha

Thanks to both of you. I may need to re-think the straps. I may see if I can get some sort of webbing at a fabric store.

Of course I tended to throw just about everything but the kitchen sink in my purse.

Yup... that'd be my purse too:lol!

Joan

Archived