Christmas present rave and a question

saramae74

DH got me Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet for Christmas, it's so extensive, what a great resource. Thanks to those who listed their recommendations in other threads.

Although I love the book I got, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book with just patterns? I am hoping to find a book with a large number and a variety of patterns. I looked at the Big Book of Crochet but I would love other ideas.

Thanks!

Cool Crochet by Melissa Leapman is a wonderful pattern book with some really great innovative patterns, then there is Hip to Crochet which is o.k. thats from Interweave Press. I like to go onto Amazon and browse through the books, they even tell you about books that are not published yet, I've looked through there and there are some awesome crochet books coming out in 2006. :)

I just got Hooked on Style, which I'm very satisfied with. I also like Cute Crochet by Melissa Leapman, it's a nice, basic all around kind of book. Cool Crochet is really only good if you want to crochet garments... lots of tops and a few accesories, a nice dress, etc. I have that one and love it, too. Hip to Crochet was one of the first stitching books I got and I still love it.

I am coveting Blue Ribbon Crochet [i think that's what it's called...] put out but House of White Birches. I've heard great reviews about that one, plus it's got an excellent array of patterns.

I would also recommend checking out magazines... You can get a nice selection of patterns for less... some good ones are Interweave's Crochet special, both 2004 and 2005... the last issue of knit.1... [Lots of cute garment patterns in those] The new Crochet! isn't bad either, it's got a big selection and some clothes that are actually halfway decent. Although, some are sill hideous, so that's one's iffy, IMHO. There's also Magic Crochet, which is a good mag if you're into thread...

It really all depends on what you're looking to make, y'know?

Archived