Bernat Softee Chunky Solids...How is it?

chrishazzoo

Question

I am planning to make 2 afghans using the Bernat Softee Chunky. Before I make the big purchase I was wondering if any of you have used this yarn and..if so how does it compare to the softness of Caron's simply soft?

I like soft yarn but the Caron's is too small in weight....Anyone?:think

I forgot to say that they don't sell it in the stores here so I have to buy online, that is why I want to know if it is truly soft.:manyheart

12 answers to this question

It's not as soft as simply soft, but it's softer than some acrylic yarns. I've used it for a pair of mittens and a poncho, and they turned out nicely (though both were knit, not crocheted).

i love the softee chunky, i can't find it where i am either! i have made a ton of hats with it and i just love how it works up. it is soft, and it doesn't get fuzzy, i think that is why i like it. good luck!!

I used it to make my father a recliner blanket. I used dc and an 8mm hook. I wish now I had done a nicer stitch, but the stitches kept their shape. If I had a bathtub I would have washed it by hand. Some of the ends popped out a bit in washing it in the machine, even tho' I did put it in a mesh bag and used the delicate cycle. I had to block it really carefully. I found I prefer working with a bit thinner yarn and yarn that weighs a little less. But that's just me and not the yarn itself. There were no breaks in the skeins, nor blobs, nor did it split. The color held up in washing. All in all, it turned out alright. I wasn't excited about it, but needed something that would fit my aesthetical criteria and skill level. A more advanced crocheter would have more to say.

Archived