Hat Help

Luvmyrott'nboy

Question

I hope this question isn't too general or vague, but here goes:

I made a hat in the round...I did great! I didn't follow a pattern but used info gleaned from this forum. It came out very nice!

But I have a bad head...it is shaped funny and those caps make me look like a cone head.

Soooooo....I decided on a more beret type hat. Frogged and started again and I have a nice big round top. I know I need to start decreasing to shape it but I haven't a clue as to how many stitches for how many rounds. I have 78 stiches in my round of hdc.

Any ideas to finish up the beret?

5 answers to this question

I think I decreased with 10 stitches pr round on my last beret-like hat. But if you only have 78 pr round, you should probably only do half of that. And try it on as you go. ;)

Because a beret is flat like a big pancake when you lay it down, I would think you'd decrease the same number of stitches in each row as what you increased in the rows leading up to the end. For example, if you started with 12 stitches and increased 6 in every row (18,24,30,36,42,48,54,60,66,72,78) then you'd decrease by 6 each row (72,66,60,54,48 . . . etc.) until it's the correct size to fit around your head. If you're going to make a band, just stay with the stitch count of the last row for as many rounds as you'd like.

The pattern I used said increase with either 6 or 8, but it decreased with 10. At first I thought it was odd, but it looked okay when I did it, it was as if it made the underside flatter somehow. Maybe the underside would have been too long if the decreases had been done over more rows. I guess its a matter of preference. If I were you, I'd just try different things until it starts to look right. Hope your yarn is frog-friendly. ;)

Thanks everyone! It came out great!

I can't really remember by how many decreased in all but I started with decreasing by 10...I ended up decreasing every 5 stitches to make it fit my head and it looks really good.

I can't believe I only had to frog once!:clap

Archived