ice crystals poncho, and others....design..

butterfly_girl

Question

Has anyone made the Ice Crystals poncho? I want to make it, but I have no idea what yarn or whatever to use. What is Bamboo? What weight is it? Is it like a knitting worsted weight, or sport weight or something? Please help!!!

Also, just wondering. I would like to create an open side poncho, like the rose triton, or that other one that has like three thin straps on one shoulder, with a crocheted flower where the straps join the rest of the poncho, and has an open side. Are ponchos like those just basically a straight crochet, like a stole or wrap that is joined or whatever.........?

thanks,

butterfly_Girl

2 answers to this question

You've got me curious - what does the Ice Crystals poncho look like? Is the pattern a free online one, or is there a picture online to see it? As far as Bamboo, it is a yarn that is made from the plant fiber. I'm not sure but I would imagine it can come in pretty much any thickness that other yarns come in. What brand is called for? That would be the place to start in researching it so you could find a substitute if necessary. From samples I've received from the Yarn of the Month club as well as the novelty version I picked up at JoAnns (it's in their Sensations line), I can report that it is a very nice, soft yarn but, alas, a tad on the pricey side. The first time I ever heard of this yarn was from the line produced by Southwest Trading Company. A poncho made from that would be very lovely indeed, not to mention soft! :c9

The other poncho you mention is one I recall from a past issue of Crochet! magazine, and one of our members posted here that it was her design. It had a name but I'm having one of those brain freeze moments and can't recall it offhand, maybe someone else can come up with a link to the thread I am referring to? If not, I will later dig out my issues and hunt through them to find it.

Archived