Question about a poncho!

saraecalhoun

Question

Hi! This is my first post on here, and I hope to be back many times to come! I found this great poncho pattern on a website, from crochetpatterncentral.com. It's really a great place to get patterns!

So I have a question to anyone who's been doing this longer than I have... I'm new to crocheting, and although I know all the stitches and everything makes complete sense, I can't seem to figure this out... I'm making this poncho for my mom for christmas. I know she's a little broader than I am, but still, I know it's going to be way too big... I think it will slip off her shoulders! Any advice on perhaps a way to make it alittle snugger on the shoulders... should I add onto the first row (the chain) and make some singles, while skiping a few stitches? would that help bring it in a little, to make it alittle snugger on the shoulders? Anyway, if anyone can follow what i'm talking about, I'd be very glad for some advice! Thank you!!

9 answers to this question

If you can post a link to the pattern so that we can see the construction method, that would help us with our advice. If you are unsure how to post a link. Click the web address (of the pattern page) to highlight it, right click and select Copy. Then in the message window here (on crochetville), click the createlink.gif button and right click in the text area of the new window and select Paste and OK.

Then we can see exactly what you are working on and give you the best advice possible.

great, I have a link right here...

Posh poncho

See how it fits on her shoulders? Mine definitely sits much lower, I'm affraid too low. I just need to figure out how to taper it back in at the top a few rows... any suggestions? I'm about half way done with it! I wish I had a digital camera or else I'd show my work too. Oh yeah, and basically I just used a 6.5 g hook instead of her recommended 5.5. I wanted to make it a little bigger than hers, but not this big. :)

Interesting! I'm affraid to chance it though, you know? It just seems so big. Maybe because I'm a small too? I'm just affraid my mom will put it on christmas morning, and laugh at me as it slinks to the floor. :( I'm probably just being hard on myself. It's looking great, just kind of large at the top. Even though it MIGHT fit, any suggestions on making it a little smaller at the top?

You could add this onto the top row:

Ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), sk next sc, *dc, sk next sc, ch 1, dc in next sc*, rep from * to * and attach with a sl st to the top of the ch 3 at the beginning. Fasten off.

Then run a drawstring through the spaces left by the dc's (make a chain, ribbon, whatever you like). It would maintain the mesh look of the piece and also make it adjustable. It also means you don't have to tinker with the pattern at all.

That's what I'd do, anyway. Hope it helps! :)

--Mish

OH YEAH! That sounds like a great idea! I can imagine it. Thanks soooo much. I think I'm going to go with that... as I'm affraid this will really be too big. That's a great suggestion. Thank you again!

Since your original chain was 90, you could also join at the top, ch 1, *sc dec with the next 2 st, sc in the next 8, repeat from * around. You can then do another decrease round if you think it is necessary, decreasing the number of stitches between your decreases by 1 st, each round.

I think I got the number of stitches between decreases correct, but this is one of my weak points, so if I got it wrong, I am sure someone will correct me. Just be sure you don't decrease too much, because the style is to be worn on the shoulders not around the neck.

Smartcat, you are are the best! I just did what you suggested, and instantly it is a tiny bit smaller... just enough I believe! I only had to do one row. If it's a tiny bit big on me, it will fit her perfectly. Thank you again!!

Archived