Question on bag handles

francesca

Question

So I am making this felted bag from Crochet me.

I am to the point where I can start assembling the different pieces before felting. My question is about attaching the handles.

The pattern suggests crocheting the handles and felting them separately, before attaching them to the bag, and only attaching them using a running stitch. I assume this is a typical sewing running stitch and not some obscure crochet stitch.

Since this bag is for my mom & I know she will really load it up and since I know that my sewing skills are limited, I'm a bit nervous about attaching the handles this way.

Any suggestions on other ways to attach the handles?

I'm thinking that I could just slip stitch onto the top row of the bag and go from there, and SS the other end on as well.

3 answers to this question

A running stitch is just the thread going up and down between the two pieces. It's not complicated. However, if you are unsure of your skills and you think it would not be enough then I suggest attatching the handles using a running stitch BEFORE you felt and then felt the bag. I think that would probably add some extra strength.

I agree! That would really tighten things up. You might even consider something "decorative" that serves a supportive function, too -- like sewing a pretty ribbon through the point of connection after felting, and having it trail down the front or tie into bows. Just a thought!

Great ideas, both of them. I think I will actually attach the handles before felting and then cross my fingers that they hold!

My mom's not much of a bow or ribbon woman, but I'll keep that idea in mind when I make the next bag like this. It's a very easy pattern & I wouldn't mind doing it again.

Archived