Fulling vs. Boiled

kaycrochay

I have recently completed some fulled crochet hats and mittens (for mittens I recommend the Lion Brand mitten pattern, a man mitten on an N hook fulls down to about a pre-teen size very nicely). I would post pictures, but my daughter has been giving everything away to her school pals as fast as I can make them.

My question has to do with the difference between fulling and boiling. Since I don't have a washer, I've been using the bucket and plunger method to full (5 gallon bucket, lots of hot water, clean toilet plunger, some homemade lye soap, and a lot of churning) and it has worked rather well, I've even gotten requests from my dtrs teachers for mittens. I'm wondering about boiling the final product, as opposed to hours of plunging mittens. Has anyone tried boiling finished wool products? Results? Recommendations? Help?? lol :help

Guest SamplerLady

mmouseplus.gifI would think it would work, but take longer. It's always a trade off--the amount of human energy vs time. You might try plunging into coool/cold water every once and awhile.

I'd make a swatch and try it to see what happens. Maybe take it out every so often, measure and put back till it reaches the size, look, thickness you're looking for.

Please share your results with us!

Well, so far the boiling experience has kinda sucked. After nearly two hours of boiling a 12cm x 12cm swatch of pure wool, the final product was 10cm x 12 cm, and the stitch definition was as clear as the original swatch. I think I'll stick to the bucket method for now, although I did just throw a purse into the washer with a load of jeans. I'm hoping it may full out better (and quicker, with less energy) than the bucket method. After it's second washing though, it still had a ways to go. It's in the dryer now, and maybe that will help it full and shrink a bit more? Off to making more mittens now :w-flake

• 1 month later...

Pardon my butting in here. When I was learning to felt with an expert spinner/knitter/felter she taught me that the hot/cold water was what would shrink the fibers, but it is the agitation that really meshes the fibers together. So for felt you want the fibers meshed, and then shrunk down which further locks them and thickens the fabric.

Just another view.........

Archived