What did I do wrong? (Bolero)

badrhinogillett

Question

I am making the Lionbrand Romantic Bolero. I normally crochet fairly tightly, but I checked my guage at the beginning of the patern and I was pretty much right on track.

Now, I'm almost finished, my tension has been consistent throughout, and the piece is MUCH smaller than the dimensions given.

Using the K hook, the piece should be 21 inches in the back. I've got 16. I've done all the rows, and I can't believe that I crochet that tightly. I'm figuring I"ve got to start over again, and I guess I'll do the pattern in the large size (even though it's for my mother who wears a size 6/8). I guess I should also use a larger hook. Maybe the N?

Any help would be great.

4 answers to this question

If you check your guage now, are you still on track? If not, I would go up a hook size to an L or N. If you are on track, then I would just try a larger size. I would not do both at once though, since it would be hard to tell how much larger your pattern would be.

I have found (through experience) that myself and others often do not work a large enough guage swatch to get a true measurement of guage. Some patterns (depending on the stitch or pattern of stitches) can take 2-3 times the size of the guage measurement to get an accurate reading. If the guage calls for 4", then 8-12" is a better size to do since the edges are never accurate. Yes it takes more time to work a swatch that big, but it will save you the time of frogging later. Some patterns will tell you how big to work the guage swatch, but many/most do not.

I'm still working through a similar experience- I'm making (or trying to at least!) a winter set for my Mom- I was making the hat first, and had I left everything up to the pattern, the hat may have fit a 10 year old!!! I despise frogging and reserve its use to only DIRE situations- I added a couple extra rows of width and made up a cool looking brim with some Bernat Envy- 4 of the 5 people who have seen it liked it. (The 5th, my husband HATES any fun fur type yarns- says they look like something the cats have gotten hold of!! LOL!!) Anyway, my moral was I try and alter the pattern before frogging.

Katie:hook:cat

Archived