Need help w/crochet pieces and glue

seagull1993

Question

I have this favorite suede leather jacket that has a couple of small tears in the skin -- one near the end of a sleeve (cuff area, but there is no separate cuff), and the other at the upper corner of a front patch pocket.

I used #3 crochet cotton thread to make 4 matching shell strips in a coordinating color, to cover both the tears and balance those by adding matching strips to the other sleeve end and pocket corner.

Now I am ready to attach the strips, but did not want to sew them on, because of not wanting more holes in the leather. :think So, I bought some fabric glue that says is permanent and clear-drying, to use for this.

But, never having used glue with crochet pieces before -- I am at a loss as to how to apply it so that it does not "bleed" over or really soak the cotton crochet or ruin the leather :eek -- altho the bottle says it is for both cloth fabric and leather.

Any suggestions? Thanks so much for any help offered. :)

3 answers to this question

The only thing I can think of is try buying a small peice of leather and crochet a small peice and pest it out. IF the glue says that it is ok for leather I wouldn't think it would distroy the jacket. But doing a test on something that is not important to you is always best. Hope this helps

Incredibly, I didn't think of doing that -- that is an idea I will consider -- I was hoping that maybe someone who does scrapbooking or appliques with different types of materials might have some suggestions. Of course, the good thing is that the glue is clear-drying, so maybe it would not matter. Thank you for the idea. :-)

Archived