Event Over: Southern MI Spinning Class

natalie058

It went really well and was lots of fun!! Maybe next time!!

One of my local independant yarn shops, Ewe-nique Knits, in downtown Royal Oak, is hosting "Learn to Spin on a Spindle" classes. Jessi [crochetaddict033] and I plan on attending the January 14 session, and we'd love it if anyone here would be able to tag along with us!!

The class is $25 and runs from 10:30 to 1:30 on that Saturday. You can also buy your supplies from the store, and $20 will get you either a small or large spindle and roving to start with. The class is run by one of the shops owners, who is super sweet and full of knowledge. She'll also be teaching how to Navajo ply.

So, come on!! Join us!! If you'd like the contact info for the shop, or have any more questions, PM or email me!!

I forgot to mention - they also give a 10% student discount on all supplies [and yarn, too!!] That would probably mean they give a senior citizens discount also, although I'm not sure.

I think it'd be really cool if anyone else could make it... And I know there are some members here who are within a decent drive... :devil

:2spin Come learn to spin with us!! :2spin

I think it'll roughly go by size... Since she has three days scheduled, my guess is that when she reaches her limit for the first class she will start registering for the second and so on...

I do believe that she will accept reservations now and you can just pay at the class. :devil

I would love to attend myself, what fun! I've never been to Royal Oak before, how abouts would I get there from Liv County?

In general, I'd say take I-96 East, it'll turn into 696, get off at Woodward, head north. From there, I'd need to know specifically where the shop is. :)

And yeah, it does sound like fun...but I keep asking myself, "Do I need another hobby?" On the other hand, $45 and a couple hours of driving sounds like a not-unreasonable investment to see if I like it...might have to see how busy I am in January.

Royal Oak is at a pretty good place to reach from both I696 and I75, so if you can find your way to one of those you should be good. Once you get yourself on Woodward heading north from 696, it's easy as pie to find the shop.

You'd just head straight north a mile or so... until you reach Lincoln, then you'd turn right, so no dealing with MI left turns. Take Lincoln down a few blocks to Lafayette, turn left so you're heading north, and park anywhere on close to the Lafayette/6th Street intersection. It's metered parking but it's not too expensive... And actually, the free student parking garage is only a block east.

I'd be happy to help with directions from I75 if those would help anyone out, also.

ETA: Here's a link to a map if that helps anyone out. Also, here's the number to the store: (248) 584-3001

The shop itself is located on the northeast corner of Lafayette and 6th, in a renovated church. You walk in the building and down a couple steps, and on the right is the spinning room and the left is yarn room. I found it to be a very relaxed, welcoming environment - something low-pressure that would be good for a meet up, y'know?

And - I didn't mention that R/O is a very *hip* spot... [maybe where MTV's next Real World will be], so if we feel it's going well there would be a ton of options for doing lunch afterwards, or just grabbing a cup of coffee.

Can you tell I would totally love to make this a get-together?? :blush

ETA this, too: I don't know anything about spinning, but she told me that the spindles she sells are unique because they can be used as either a top or bottom whorl, where from what I gather, most are one or the other. [You can pick either the big or small for the same cost.]

But - another thought is to check out eBay for roving and spindle kits. You may be able to find them there for less than $20.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived