Help with bag pattern, please

knotme

Question

I'm a little embarassed to say that I can't quite get started on the Two Tone Bag in the latest issue of Interweave Crochet (pg.47) .

It says to ch 32 (that I can do:) ) but then goes on, work hdc in 3rd ch from hook, hdc in each ch across to last ch, 3 hdc in last ch (place marker in 2nd ch of these 3 ch, moving marker up as progressing), working across opposite side of foundation ch, hdc in each ch across, turn-61 hdc. Okay, this is my problem: I have 63 hdc in this row. :think Am I doing something wrong already?!?!

Please, if anyone has worked on this bag and can help I would really appreciate it. It's a Christmas gift!

3 answers to this question

This is how I would interpret it to get 61 hdc

Starting chain is 32, but since you hdc in 3rd ch from hook, that leaves 30 ch spaces available for hdc, but you do 3 hdc in last ch, so basically on one side of the chain you will have 32 hdc.

Then on the other side of the chain there is 30 ch available except you squeezed 3 in the last ch so dont do any on that one, so that leaves 29 ch avail for hds,

32 + 29 = 61

that is how I would interpret it. Hope this helps!

Now I don't know what I was doing wrong before! I guess I just needed someone to really break it down for me. Thank you so much for the help and I will post a pic when I am done!:ty

This is how I would interpret it to get 61 hdc

Starting chain is 32, but since you hdc in 3rd ch from hook, that leaves 30 ch spaces available for hdc, but you do 3 hdc in last ch, so basically on one side of the chain you will have 32 hdc.

Then on the other side of the chain there is 30 ch available except you squeezed 3 in the last ch so dont do any on that one, so that leaves 29 ch avail for hds,

32 + 29 = 61

that is how I would interpret it. Hope this helps!

Now I don't know what I was doing wrong before! I guess I just needed someone to really break it down for me. Thank you so much for the help and I will post a pic when I am done!:ty

I'm guessing that when you got to the end of the round, you probably worked hdc into two of those chains you skipped at the very beginning, thus bringing your count up to 63. Sounds like you've got it figured out now, so carry on! :hook

Archived