Searching for best yarn for a blanket

Tinkpink

Question

Hey everybody,

I have finally finished the afghan, which I started working on in spring 2023. Thanks again for everybody‘s help. I would have never finished without you.

I would love to start a new project. For the afghan I used cotton yarn. The blanket is now very heavy. 

Do you recommend a different kind of yarn for a blanket?

Thanks a lot and all the best

Katinka

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Tinkpink said:

Hey everybody,

I have finally finished the afghan, which I started working on in spring 2023. Thanks again for everybody‘s help. I would have never finished without you.

I would love to start a new project. For the afghan I used cotton yarn. The blanket is now very heavy. 

Do you recommend a different kind of yarn for a blanket?

Thanks a lot and all the best

Katinka

I am not usually a Bernat fan but I did like the chenille style acrylic Bernat Blanket yarn.  The Lion brand acrylic Pound of Love is soft and washes up nicely.

I am now making an afghan with I love this Yarn by Hobby Lobby.  I have made many an Afghan with Red Heart, and Barnet Pounders.  Now it may be the stitch I am using, but with the Hobby Lobby yarn, I found it softer and not as heavy.

I have always wanted to try one with cotton, but I always hesitated.  Thanks for the infor on it being heavy.

Oh yeah, my afghan is done in C2C stitch.

I've used Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn for a number of blankets. It has a pretty large variety of colors. Also Red Heart With Love which is softer than RH Super Saver.