The Knitted 1898 Hat (designer Kristine Byrnes) adapted for Tunisian Crochet

Ellebelle

I've always been enamoured of the 1898 Hat, the knitting pattern of which  originally designed by Kristine Byrnes for the Seamen's Church Institute.  It's available for free and people on another knitting and crochet forum I belong to are crazy about it.  

Rather than continue to lament the fact that there was no crochet pattern for this hat, I decided to figure out a way to make a reasonable facsimile of the original knitted on my Tunisian Crochet Hook.

By the way, I kept notes on how I made my hats.  If anyone is interested in making one too, I'd be happy to share.  My notes constitute a method; not a pattern by any stretch of the imagination. However,  I've shared my notes with others and they've made their own 1898 hat in Tunisian Crochet with no problem.  So, if you know your way around a Tunisian Crochet Hook, you should have no problem either.  

Thanks for looking🌼

1898 Hat - Tunisian Crochet Impeccable 6mm hook 66 rows - stitches appx 19 - 20 inches  around by 8 inches tallb.jpg

1898 Hat - Tunisian Crochet Patons Canadiana 5mm hook 72 rows - one smaller than the other.jpg

1898 Hat - Tunisian Crochet Impeccable 5 and half mm hook 66 sts or rows around.jpg

1898 hatband - better way - by working up both layers together hat finished shown flat jan 20.jpg

Edited by Ellebelle

The pattern turned out splendid! I love Tunisian crochet and should do it more often.

5 minutes ago, ReniC said:

The pattern turned out splendid! I love Tunisian crochet and should do it more often.

Thank you!  I learned Tunisian Crochet about 5 years ago after a disastrous attempt at 'knooking'.  I haven't looked back. 

I love the look of knitting, but have never been comfortable with knitting needles.  There are certain (basic) Tunisian Crochet stitches that can make crochet look just like knitting, which is exciting to me.   I think Tunisian Crochet is generally gaining in popularity lately.  

These are really nice! Textured and very warm looking!

Have you ever heard of crochenit? It is a wonderful technique and super easy and you end up with ultra light reversible finished products. You use a long double ended hook, and pick up stitches like knitting and crochet them off. I have been doing it for years and years.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Courtney0508 said:

These are really nice! Textured and very warm looking!

Have you ever heard of crochenit? It is a wonderful technique and super easy and you end up with ultra light reversible finished products. You use a long double ended hook, and pick up stitches like knitting and crochet them off. I have been doing it for years and years.

Thank you!  No, I don't think I've heard of "crochenit" and so I'll have to look into it.  I often do "reversible Tunisian crochet" which is also worked on a long double ended hook, but creates a denser fabric.   You wouldn't happen to have a link to a crochenit tutorial would you?

ETA:  I Just looked up crochenit ..... As far as I can see it IS Reversible (or double sided) Tunisian Crochet.  A technique that I love too.  I suppose you can create lighter fabrics with more drape also, depending on the stitch pattern you choose.  I've a couple books about double sided Tunisian Crochet but I tend to stick with the more basic stitches which create  thicker, cushy(ier) fabrics ...

Edited by Ellebelle
additional information
  • Like 1

I have never done tunisian crochet so I couldn't say whether the technigues are identical, but they may be!