Filet Parasol Chart Confusion

Sally-Ann

Question

Hey everyone, 

I was wondering if anyone could help me decipher this filet chart, please?

I have grasped most of it, but I just cannot get the start right. It just seems too big a hole to fit a frame. I have only just begun learning the filet technique so perhaps I am using too many chain stitches to start out. I`m also a little wary of the increases but think I understand. Any advice would be very gratefully received. Thanks :) 

rosy.pdf

2 answers to this question

I'm a 'threadie' and I would probably pass on this unless I was in a mood to be annoyed.  I've done a couple of enter-out filet items, and there was a chart like this but it showed the transition to the next pie-shape, maybe something on the order of a V-stitch.  You don't have enough information to go on here.  You can't join the pieces with their indented, stair-step sides like that shown in the diagram, they need to be straight lines /   \

The chart is meant to made in rounds, so the first line of the chart is 2 open meshes; the pattern says there are 8 wedges, so if it were written out it would say something like  " *2 open meshes, corner transition; repeat from * 7 more times, join "

https://www.hassdesign.com/BasicFiletTechniques/   this site has great info on basic filet techniques, although it doesn't answer your exact question on this pattern, but it explains stitch count for filet.

In general, not just filet but any crochet - if you think your beginning chain is too long, don't worry about it; later you can come back and pick out the excess chains, it does not unravel easily from that direction, just weave the end in later.  I chain too many on purpose for long starting chains, I'd rather pick out a few later than come up short and have to re-do a long chain.

Thank you Granny Square, I think I may have to pass after all. It really does sound confusing and I haven`t mastered the increase method yet either. Back to the drawing board for the time being. Thank you for the link too, I will have a good read of this and practice filet :D

Edited by Sally-Ann