Need help with Megan lapp's Dragon's wings

YvonneN

Question

Hi all,

I' m working on Megan Lapp's dragon, from the book Creatures of Myth and Legend, but can't get the whalebones for the wings done? Would anyone be able to help me out? I'm really stuck on that one 🤔

Many thanks in advance!

Yvonne

IMG-20230505-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20230505-WA0004.jpg

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville YvonneN.

I can barely read this, it is tiny (and I have a large monitor), but from what I can see, it is describing  something I 'unvented' a while back (I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, I'm not taking credit!).  This was on a doily that had heart shapes done in US SC, and I outlined them in a raised SC working SC freehand perpendicular to the fabric (so, with the doily laying on the table, the tops of the SCs were pointing up at the ceiling, not parallel to the table).  In your pattern it has you folding the wings to form a line  to follow, to pinch the fabric a little to make the stitch perpendicular to the fabric.

A second method which is is easier, and makes a raised line which is not quite as pronounced or a raised line but would be just as effective, is a surface slip stitch.  Here is a tutorial https://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-surface-crochet-or-surface-slip-stitch/.  Again, you are drawing a line 'freehand'.

Edited to add, actually, if you did surface slip stitch across the fabric, and then used that as your 'chain' to work SC into, it would make quite a pronounced line.

Edited by Granny Square

Thanks Granny Square, I'll give it a try, the first couple of atempts, following the book to the letter, failed miserably but that says more about my skills then about the author 😉

Are you meaning you failed at the surface slip stitch instruction I linked, or what the designer described?  There are youtube tutorials on the surface slip stitch, I know some people prefer videos than written instructions.