What is this stitch?

KatieKP

Question

Hi There, I'm new to crochet (normally I just knit), I'm trying to finish the below linked pattern and am struggling with the stitch that is just called "remove 4 yo from hook" in row 7 of the chart, it looks like it is possibly something like a combination of treble crochet and puff stitch? I've not been able to find the symbol anywhere else and the written instructions on the pattern I've found confusing, they don't seem to add up? Has anyone seen this stitch before and is able to explain it for me please? At this point I'm tempted to try and replace it with a knitted lace edging but it would be nice to be able to finish the pattern!

https://schachenmayr.com/en/free-patterns/girls-shirt-s10273

Thanks for any help :)

Katie

2 answers to this question

I copied the instructions for the symbol in question

remove 4 yo from hook. Insert hook in st and draw through, bind off 2 loops 2x with every yo, * yo twice, insert hook in the same insertion point and bind off 2 loops 2x with every yo, rep from * 1x, bind off 3 loops with 1 yo, then bind off 2 loops 3x with 1 yo

This is my take or what I would do.  They are naming the symbol itself "remove 4 yo from hook".  Close up photo of sweater it looks like a treble crochet cluster but with cluster elongated with something different from the way we would typically finish the stitch off.

Insert hook in st and draw through, bind off 2 loops 2x with every yo,

I believe this should have said YO 2 times, insert hook in stitch and pull thru giving you 4 loops on your hook. YO and pull thru 2 loops, YO and pull thru 2 loops leaving 2 loops on hook.

* yo twice, insert hook in the same insertion point and bind off 2 loops 2x with every yo, rep from * 1x,

YO 2 times and insert hook into same place and pull thru.  Now you have 5 loops on hook.  YO and pull thru 2 loops, YO and pull thru 2 loops leaves 3 loops on hook.   Repeat this entire sequence 1 time.  This leaves 4 loops on hook.

bind off 3 loops with 1 yo, then bind off 2 loops 3x with 1 yo

I find this part of instructions problematic because I only have 4 loops.  If I YO and pull 3 loops there is just 1 loop left so I cant do it 3 times but what I can do is YO pull thru 2 loops, YO pull thru 2 loops, YO pull thru 2 loops.  Now you are ready to move on with your chains.    

If I didnt like the way this looks I probably would finish off the cluster by YO pull thru all 4 loops, YO pull thru 1 loop.  Now you are ready for chains.  I might add a few extra chains according to how I liked the way it looks.

Edited by bgs

2 hours ago, bgs said:

I copied the instructions for the symbol in question

remove 4 yo from hook. Insert hook in st and draw through, bind off 2 loops 2x with every yo, * yo twice, insert hook in the same insertion point and bind off 2 loops 2x with every yo, rep from * 1x, bind off 3 loops with 1 yo, then bind off 2 loops 3x with 1 yo

This is my take or what I would do.  They are naming the symbol itself "remove 4 yo from hook".  Close up photo of sweater it looks like a treble crochet cluster but with cluster elongated with something different from the way we would typically finish the stitch off.

Insert hook in st and draw through, bind off 2 loops 2x with every yo,

I believe this should have said YO 2 times, insert hook in stitch and pull thru giving you 4 loops on your hook. YO and pull thru 2 loops, YO and pull thru 2 loops leaving 2 loops on hook.

* yo twice, insert hook in the same insertion point and bind off 2 loops 2x with every yo, rep from * 1x,

YO 2 times and insert hook into same place and pull thru.  Now you have 5 loops on hook.  YO and pull thru 2 loops, YO and pull thru 2 loops leaves 3 loops on hook.   Repeat this entire sequence 1 time.  This leaves 4 loops on hook.

bind off 3 loops with 1 yo, then bind off 2 loops 3x with 1 yo

I find this part of instructions problematic because I only have 4 loops.  If I YO and pull 3 loops there is just 1 loop left so I cant do it 3 times but what I can do is YO pull thru 2 loops, YO pull thru 2 loops, YO pull thru 2 loops.  Now you are ready to move on with your chains.    

If I didnt like the way this looks I probably would finish off the cluster by YO pull thru all 4 loops, YO pull thru 1 loop.  Now you are ready for chains.  I might add a few extra chains according to how I liked the way it looks.

Ahhh perfect, thank you so much! I'm glad it wasn't just me that found the numbers didn't add up with the instructions, I wasn't missing something too obvious! I never would have been able to work that out though so your explanation was really helpful, I've tried it out on my test sample I was working on and it does work, I think potentially the second ending of YO and pulling through all 4 loops and then YO and pull through again looks slightly neater than the other version but I'll do some more practicing with it to test it out properly and see which I like best.

Thanks for your help :D