Question about making baby blanket into larger size

jstaff

Question

Hello!

I recently completed this baby blanket https://www.amandacrochets.com/modern-chevron-baby-blanket/

I followed the pattern exactly (chaining 99) and ended up with a 31 inch wide blanket. I would like to make this same blanket into a larger adult size blanket say 60 inches wide for example. Is it is as easy as just doubling the chain amount to a number that equals the stitch multiple (multiples of 12 +3)? I would be using the same hook size and equivalent size yarn for the larger blanket.  I usually try and follow patterns because I have a tendency to over or undershoot the chain count but I can't find a pattern to follow giving a definite chain amount will equal this width.

Any help would be appreciated!

3 answers to this question

Yes, since the pattern gives you the stitch multiple, you can go with that.

BTW, I OVERSHOOT the chain count by a few chains most of the time on something big like a blanket, on purpose, just in case I mess up the count.  One cool trick with crochet is that it does not unravel easily from the 'first chain' end, so if you chain a few extra you don't have to start over, you can pick out the chains and it won't all fall apart - just leave a good length of unravelled chain to weave in..  The slight downside is that it is a bit time consuming to pick out excess chains, but I'd rather do that than start over if I miscounted too short.  In other words,, to be safe I'd go the stitch multiple of 12 + 3 plus a few more.

On 4/30/2023 at 2:06 PM, Granny Square said:

Yes, since the pattern gives you the stitch multiple, you can go with that.

BTW, I OVERSHOOT the chain count by a few chains most of the time on something big like a blanket, on purpose, just in case I mess up the count.  One cool trick with crochet is that it does not unravel easily from the 'first chain' end, so if you chain a few extra you don't have to start over, you can pick out the chains and it won't all fall apart - just leave a good length of unravelled chain to weave in..  The slight downside is that it is a bit time consuming to pick out excess chains, but I'd rather do that than start over if I miscounted too short.  In other words,, to be safe I'd go the stitch multiple of 12 + 3 plus a few more.

Thank you! I started the blanket and so far it's going well!