Fingerless Glove Pattern Problem

OliviaXCX

Question

Hey, I am making these fingerless gloves from a pattern that came with the yarn I’m using but I think there must be some mistake in it? The pattern is asking me to:

Fold work in half and join the 10 ss to form the wrist. Continue joining the next 8 dc and fasten off securely.

Open up the work and place the thumb in the middle on the inside and sew in place.

Pull thumb back through. join the side seam of the thumb and continue joining work to top of glove.

I’m confused as to what it means by the middle? And by pulling it through? The main body of the gloves as is is quite bulky due to the double crochets the pattern called for, I posted a tweet which can be found here where I posted both the full pattern and what I’ve crocheted so far! 

Thanks!!

- Olivia

1 answer to this question

"Fold work in half and join the 10 ss to form the wrist. Continue joining the next 8 dc and fasten off securely."  I think this was written this way, instead of saying 'join 18 stitches' was to orient you to what part of the glove was what, the wrist and the lower part of the hand up to where the bottom of  the thumb starts.

"Open up the work and place the thumb in the middle on the inside and sew in place."  I think this is out of order. see below.

"Pull thumb back through. join the side seam of the thumb and continue joining work to top of glove."  I think this should go before the previous line.  I would re-write the 2 'thumb lines' like this: 

Join the side seam of the thumb USING THE MATTRESS STITCH, open up the work hand portion of the glove and place the thumb in the middle on the inside and sew the base of the thumb to the glove USING THE MATTRESS STITCH.  

The reason I'm suggesting the mattress stitch is because it does not leave a ridge on the 'wrong side', it is perfectly flat and invisible which you would want with a glove.  You also don't need to turn the piece inside out (which pertains to your question about 'pulling it through'), you can do the mattress stitch from the front side, in fact this is the best way to do it to ensure it is neat and tidy and you didn't poke the needle where you shouldn't have.

Video of Mattress Stitch with Edie Eckman