Changing thread size

Lois Truxell

Question

Love the old doily patterns but many call for size 20 or even 30 thread.  That's so small and hard to see with my old eyes.  Does anyone know how a pattern is affected by switching to size 10 and appropriate size hook? 

2 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Lois Truxell said:

Love the old doily patterns but many call for size 20 or even 30 thread.  That's so small and hard to see with my old eyes.  Does anyone know how a pattern is affected by switching to size 10 and appropriate size hook? 

There isn't a drastic difference I have noticed, depending on what size hook you use.  I always convert anything over size 20 thread to a size 10 and usually use a 1.65 to 1.75 mm hook.  It might go up an inch at the most in size, which I personally am ok with. 

• Like 1

I agree with Lacycrochet, I mostly use vintage doily patterns and use #10 thread for all of them, and usually use my trusty #7 US crochet crochet hook (1.65mm).  My eyes are old too, but it's my hands that complain more using smaller hook and thread.

The doilies look perfectly fine  with #10 thread, they end up a bit bigger than the original design--it's not like the stitches are looser or messier, because I'm using a hook that is in proportion to the heavier thread used.

Re: knowing exactly how a pattern's overall size would affected in advance would be tough though.  It would depend on the pattern (dense? lacy? lots of tall stitches?), and everybody's stitch tensions are different (including designers).

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 2