Border question

Jen025

Question

The pattern says after sc in each stitch across, ch 2, rotate work, *[sc in end of row, 2 sc in end of next row] across, ch 2, rotate work*. I don’t understand what they mean between the *. Am I supposed to sc, then 2sc in the next stitch? 

1 answer to this question

Hi, welcome to the 'ville!

When you work in rows, and make a border around the item, the top of the last row and underside of the first row are easy to crochet into; the sides of the stitches don't have nice tidy places to stitch into.

I think the wording in your pattern may be a little off.  I am guessing if this is the border all around the piece, it is meaning for you to sc evenly across, and when you arrive at the corner to put 2 stitches in the corner (to 'turn' the corner; most patterns I've seen tell you to do 3, I tend to do sc, chain 1, sc, because the chain sort of folds to turn a tiny corner).

When you make a border all around, the sides of SC stitches aren't as "tidy" to work into; pick a consistent set of loops along the sides to work into.

Pro tip: if you are making a contrasting color border, because of the 'wonky sides' thing, it looks better if you first go around once in the same color as the main piece, and then change colors on the following row; this creates a tidy place for the side stitches to go into.  You can't see the 'wonkyness' as much if the item worked around, and the border, are the same color.