Baby Blanket with Ruffle

Annamaria Marcantonio

Question

Hi

I made this blanket several years ago, but for some reason I understood the pattern but I can't figure it out today. 
I've completed the body of the blanket and it has the first ruffle which was just an extension of the body. I'm supposed to attach a smaller ruffle in front on the one I already completed but I'm not understanding the instruction. See part of  the instructions below that is puzzling me. I've put in capital letters the actual piece where I'm stuck  

"Join white with slip st around post of marked dc - ch 1, sc around the post of the SAME stitch, ch 3 (*sc around CH-2 AT END IF NEXT ROW, ch 3) across (sc around post if next dc, ch 3) across, repeat from * once more; join with slip at to the first sc"

Existing stitches:  basic dc with several stitches apart join by 5 at chain (forming a chain of squares). At the top of the each square (where the 5 st chain is) has 2 dc.  I may have marked incorrectly but marker was inserted at the first dc of the chain of squares  

id like to send a photo if needed. 

Thanks

Annamaria

2 answers to this question

At the end of a row of US DC, you chain 2 or 3 and turn, this typically counts as a stitch.  So if you make a blanket in rows in DC (turning each row), each side stitch will either be a DC or a turning chain 'standing in' for a DC.

The post of a DC is the 'body' of a stitch, you can make any stitch around the post/body of a another in the row below (1) from the font, sticking the hook from the right side to left, behind, the stitch, yarning over and completing the stitch (2) similar to the previous, except you put your hook behind the stitch pointing toward you, across the front of the stitch and return to the back.  If this is confusing there are a lot of videos showing front and back post DCs, sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words.  

In the same way, a turning chain at the end of a row can 'stand in for' a stitch and be worked around in the same way.  I hope that makes sense?

• Like 1

It sounds like you are trying to make a ruffle edging on your blanket. The instructions you have given are a bit confusing, so it may be helpful to look at a diagram or video of the pattern you are trying to make. It sounds like you have already completed the body of the blanket and the first ruffle, and now you are trying to attach a smaller ruffle in front of the one you already completed. 

To do this, you will need to join white yarn with a slip stitch around the post of the marked double crochet. Then, chain one and single crochet around the post of the same stitch. Chain three, and then single crochet around the chain two at the end if the next row. Chain three and single crochet around the post if the next double crochet. Repeat this pattern once more, and then join with a slip stitch to the first single crochet. 

It sounds like you have a chain of squares with two double crochets at the top of each square. If you have marked incorrectly, it may be helpful to look at a diagram or video of the pattern you are trying to make to make sure you are marking correctly. If you need help understanding the instructions, it may be helpful to reach out to a local knitting or crochet group for assistance. 

Good luck with your project!