Help with shell stitch decrease

Mary Ann Kocurko

Question

Hello

I am crocheting a Lace Cardigan and it is made with shell stitches.  To "Shape Shoulders", I have 10 1/2 shells crocheted as part of the armholes.  The next directions to shape shoulders states the following:  Bind off 1 shell at beg of next 4 rows, 1/ 1/2 shells at beg of next 2 rows -- 3 1/2 shells.  So I read this as I have to decrease the number of shells from 10 1/2 to 3 1/2 over 6 rows.  I don't know what they mean to bind off 1 shell?  Should I just use slip stitches at the beginning of each row?  Or, is there another way to decrease shell stitches.  

Side note:  The shell stitches were crocheted as follows:  Half shell of ch 3, dc in first sc, *ch 1, sc in center dc of 3-dc shell, ch 1, shell of 3 dc in next sc, repeat from * across, end ch 1, sc in top of turning ch. 

It would be great if you can help me.  Thank you!

Mary Ann

216-410-5160

mkocurko@cox.net

2 answers to this question

Bind off is a knitting term, it's how you get the fabric off the needles and 'finish off' the stitch at the end of a project, or to 'indent' the shape of the edge of  the item somehow, as in shaping shoulders to rise from the arm to the neck. 

I agree that slip stitch would be the way to go here, slip stitch over the first x shells in a row and then chain up to start the next row 'indented in' from the edge of the last row to shape the shoulders.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Bind off is a knitting term, it's how you get the fabric off the needles and 'finish off' the stitch at the end of a project, or to 'indent' the shape of the edge of  the item somehow, as in shaping shoulders to rise from the arm to the neck. 

I agree that slip stitch would be the way to go here, slip stitch over the first x shells in a row and then chain up to start the next row 'indented in' from the edge of the last row to shape the shoulders.

22 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Thank you!  I appreciate your response.